A Z Crystal (Zクリスタル Z Kurisutaru) is a kind of object introduced in Generation VII which is used to activate a Z-Move. It helps Pokémon use the corresponding Z-Move when equipped in one, as long as it knows a move of the same type.
One Z-Crystal can be used as many times and on many Pokémon as one wishes. The Z-Crystals work with the Z-Ring.
For a trainer to obtain Z-crystal a trainer must complete an Island Trial challenge by defeating Totem Pokémon and a Grand Trial challenge from defeating the Island Kahuna. The Z-Crystals and the powers of the Totem Pokèmon were created by Ultra Necrozma, as a result of this losing it light.
List of Z-Crystals
A total of 35 Z-Crystals exist: 18 of them for each elemental type and 17 of them for specific Pokémon.
- In A Team-on-Team Tussle!, Team Rocket obtained the Darkinium Z Crystal, however when they had it they attached to Meowth which is the same way it works in the games.
- Z-Crystals have a number of weaknesses.
- In the anime, if a trainer uses a Z-Crystal before they have an Island Trial challenge, the Z-Crystal will disintegrate as a sign of proof that the trainer isn't ready to use it.
- Also in the anime and the game, the Z-Crystal's power can only be used once when in battle.
- Both the trainer and Pokémon have to be in complete synchronization with each other to use the Z-Move of the required Z-Crystal.
- In SM036, if the trainer or the Pokémon get the synchronization of movements wrong the Z-Move won't work.
- In A Team-on-Team Tussle!, if the trainer and the Pokémon don't know the right synchronization of movements the Z-Move won't work.
- Speaking of Team Rocket's Z-Crystal, their crystal won't transfer it's power unless it's inside of a real Z-Ring not a fake one.
- Although, it is unknown if a Z-Crystal's power can be activated without a Z-Ring similar to a Keystone and a Pokémon's Mega Stone seen in Pokémon Origins.
- In SM038 and SM041, if the Pokémon's power isn't strong enough to handle the power of a Z-Move of the required Z-Crystal, then the move won't work. The weakness can be overcome with training.
- In SM070, similar to Mega Evolution both the trainer and the Pokémon must have a level of trust between each other for the Z-Move to work.