A Z-Crystal (Ｚクリスタル Z Kurisutaru in Japanese) is a kind of object introduced in Generation VII which is used to activate a Z-Move. It helps Pokémon use the corresponding Z-Move when equipped in one, as long as it knows a move of the same type.
One Z-Crystal can be used as many times and on many Pokémon as one wishes. The Z-Crystals work with the Z-Ring.
List of Z-Crystals
A total of 29 Z-Crystals exist: 18 of them for each elemental type and 11 of them for specific Pokémon.
|Crystal||Move||Type or Pokémon associated|
|Black Hole Eclipse|
|10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt|
|Sinister Arrow Raid|
|Guardian of Alola|
|Soul-Stealing 7 Star Strike|
- In A Team-on-Team Tussle!, Team Rocket obtained the Darkinium Z Crystal, however when they had it they attached to Meowth which is the same way it works in the games.
- Z-Crystals have a number of weaknesses.
- In the anime, if a trainer uses a Z-Crystal before they have an Island Trial challenge, the Z-Crystal will disintegrate as a sign of proof that the trainer isn't ready to use it.
- Also in the anime and the game, the Z-Crystal's power can only be used once when in battle.
- But, in the anime that weakness can be overcomed with training.
- Both the trainer and Pokémon have to be in complete synchronization with each other to use the Z-Move of the required Z-Crystal.
- However, it is unknown of what will happen if the pair gets the synchronization of movements wrong.
- Speaking of Team Rocket's Z-Crystal, their crystal won't transfer it's power unless it's inside of a real Z-Ring not a fake one.
- Although, it is unknown if a Z-Crystal's power can be activated without a Z-Ring similar to a Keystone and a Pokémon's Mega Stone.
- In the anime and games, Z-Crystal's power can transferred from the trainer to their Pokémon, but it is unknown if the Z-crystals power will work for wild Pokémon like Meowth.