Awakening the Sleeping Giant! (カビゴンを起こせ！パルファム宮殿でバトルです！！ Wake Up Snorlax! Battle in Parfum Palace!!) is the 18th episode of Pokémon the Series: XY.
In Camphrier Town, Ash and his friends come across a Snorlax blocking their path. The local King, Lord Shabboneau, has a Poké Flute that will wake it, but it was stolen by the selfish princess of Parfum Palace. Ash tries to retrieve it, but the princess demands a Pokémon Battle.
The heroes arrive to Camphrier Town. Serena reads "one can taste the ages" in the town. Bonnie wonders what that means, so Clemont explains it has old buildings. Suddenly, they hear a loud noise, which after a while stops. They ask a woman what that noise was, so she unplugs her ears and shows a sleeping Snorlax, who snores. The heroes wonder why Snorlax is in a place like this, so the woman explains Snorlax is useful for the town, eats away the crops every season, but this improves the crops, making them bigger and better. Each year, a festival is made to honor this event. At the end of the festival, the lord of Shabboneau Castle plays the PokéFlute to honor Snorlax, who dances and eats the food while going to the mountain. However, Snorlax has not woken up, as the Shabboneau Lord will not come to the festival for some reason.
Snorlax snores again, so Clemont's eyeglasses flash, as he presents a newest invention. He turns the alarm, meant to wake Bonnie up in the mornings, and maximizes its volume. However, both the alarm and Snorlax are too loud. The alarm explodes, though Snorlax remains asleep. They already hear villages talking they cannot sleep and want Joy or Jenny to intervene. The woman sees the PokéFlute should wake it up, but many have asked the Lord and he just gave away excuses. Ash promises to get the Flute. They are at the Castle and Ash yells to get attention. The butler arrives and asks why they are here. Ash replies they came with an urgent message, so the butler lets them in.
They meet with Lord Shabboneau. The heroes ask him to play the flute or at least to borrow it, but the lord replies he developed a phobia to the flute. The butler asks the lord to be honest with the children, since they came far. The lord speaks the truth that the flute was taken away from him: Princess Allie from Parfum Palace came one day and liked the Flute, then took off with it. The lord couldn't protest, since he had a debt to with Allie's father. Ash promises to retrieve the flute back and asks the lord to be at the festival. The lord is pleased, while the heroes move out. Team Rocket, who are in a suit of armor, have overheard this. They plan on controlling an Snorlax army, capture Pikachu and gain the boss' favor.
The heroes arrive to Parfum Palace and Bonnie finds a hole in the bush wall to pass through. The heroes are amazed at the layout of the garden, but are interrupted by a Furfrou. A girl with her servants appears, telling Furfrou not to eat trash (meaning the heroes as trash). The heroes ask Allie to give the Flute, but she replies what she takes is her own and replies if the citizens are bothered by Snorlax, they can move away. Ash is displeased, while Allie looks Pikachu and examines it. She takes Pikachu away, but Ash takes him back. She offers Ash a fortune in exchange for Pikachu, but Ash refuses. Allie has an idea: they bet the Flute and Pikachu and the winner takes all. Ash is shocked, but decides to do it, since Pikachu is willing to.
They are on the battle field. Pikachu starts with Quick Attack, but Furfrou jumps and hits Pikachu with its paw. Pikachu is hit and looks at Allie, who stares at him. Pikachu uses Iron Tail, but Furfrou blocks the attack by biting. Furfrou uses Charge Beam, while Pikachu uses Electro Ball. The attacks clash, while Pikachu immediately uses Thunderbolt, hitting Furfrou. Allie's Furfrou has a bad hair, shocking Allie, who has her servants take Furfrou away for grooming, therefore Ash is the winner. Ash asks for the Flute, but Allie denies, making Ash and Pikachu furious. Allie reminds him he would've given the Flute if she won, but that is not the case. Serena and Bonnie protest, though Allie mocks them, telling she can do as she wants. Clemont comes to Allie and lets her know Ash bet Pikachu, his partner, to win the Flute. He reminds her should she continue behaving selfish, she won't have friends anymore. Serena and Bonnie think Clemont said too much, while Allie interprets this as Clemont is into her.
Allie changes her mind: she will hand the Flute, but Clemont has to stay with her. Bonnie and Serena whisper, then confirm she can have Clemont, who is already shocked. Later, a servant hands the heroes the PokéFlute, while Clemont is still nervous, even if his friends promised to get back to get him after they wake Snorlax up. The heroes bid farewell to "the lovebirds" and move back to wake Snorlax up. They come to Shabboneau Lord and give him the Flute to play, but is stolen by Team Rocket. The Lord begs them not to play the flute, but Jessie plays it - badly. Snorlax wakes up, but is furious by being woken up by that terrible sound. Jessie tries to control it by playing the Flute, but this angers Snorlax so much it punishes them using Hyper Beam, thwarting Giovanni's fantasy. Ash takes the Flute and gives it to the Lord, who plays the flute. Snorlax is pleased by the sound and starts eating berries. Snorlax eats the food and bids farewell to the villagers, then sets off to the mountains.
The heroes are pleased they solved this, but are reminded about Clemont. Clemont comes back in his underwear, since he managed to escape. Allie visits Clemont to tell him the fireworks are starting, but is shocked to see a dummy. She considers Clemont a jerk and attacks the dummy, which explodes. The heroes watch these fireworks as they continue the journey.
Furfrou (Matron trim)
- Allie - I suppose you can have the Pokéflute back.
- Clemont - Huh?
- Allie - Under one condition.
- Ash - I'm not giving you Pikachu!
- Allie - In exchange for the Pokéflute, I insist you leave this one with me.
- Clemont - (screams in horror) You want me to stay!?
- (Ash, Serena and Bonnie gasp in shock. Serena, thinking of something, taps Bonnie's shoulder and whispers in her ear)
- Bonnie - (whispering) Do you think so?
- Serena - (whispering) Yeah.
- Bonnie - (to Allie as Serena winks at Ash) You can have my brother if you want him.
- Clemont - Bonnie! How could you tell her that?
- Allie - Alright, it's settled.
- Narrator - The Poké-flute has been returned to its rightful owners, and the bond between Snorlax and the townspeople is even stronger, thanks to our heroes Ash, Pikachu, Serena and Bonnie.
- Serena - Ummm, aren't we forgetting something?
- Ash, Bonnie & Narrator - Huh?
- Bonnie - Uwahhhh! Clemont!
- "I blew it!" - Jessie after awakening the Snorlax
- "Who's That Pokémon?:" Snorlax (US)
- "Pokémon Quiz:" Snorlax (JP)
- Serena breaks the fourth wall when she interrupts the narrator as the episode ends.
- Similar to Wake Up Snorlax!, Ash, Misty and Brock find ways to wake up Snorlax and ask a hippie for the PokéFlute.
- Like Pika and Goliath!, Allie, like Sho, demands from Ash Pikachu if they win the battle.
- In contrast with The Heartbreak of Brock, Allie falling in love with Clemont is similar to Temacu falling in love with Brock.
- Snorlax eating away crops to improve the harvest mirrors Ash's Snorlax, who ate away grapes in Snack Attack.
- The Italian dub, a redubbed version based on the American English dub, aired on May 15, 2014, two days before the English dub aired.
When Clemont is explaining Ash and the others what happened, his hair is colored orange instead of blonde.
|Other series: Original · Advanced Generation · Diamond & Pearl · Best Wishes! · Sun & Moon|