Eevee's much smaller body had been transformed under the influence of the moon's aura. For it to evolve, an Eevee must have full trust and friendship with its trainer during the night. (In the games it is the same but Eevee must be leveled up during the night) Umbreon has bright yellow rings around both ears and tail, as well as on the upper parts, its front and back legs, and one in the center of its forehead. The rings glow when under the influence of moonlight.
Its physical characteristics seem to be both feline and foxlike, with a lithe thin body, cat-like eyes, a short muzzle, and a thick bushy tail. Its origins could be of black cats or foxes that are known to be nocturnal; its rings also give it an Egyptian like feel, perhaps with roots from Bastet (WereCat) or Anubis.
In the anime
- Main article: Gary's Umbreon
Gary Oak's Eevee evolved into an Umbreon shortly before appearing in Power Play!.
In BW004, Ash and company mistake a Tepig for one. Team Rocket's Meowth tried to impersonate an Umbreon, catching the attention of the searchers. Ash found what the "Umbreon" really was: an abandoned Tepig. Ash undid the knot around its snout and it later joined Ash's team.
Umbreon can spray a cloud of toxic gas from its sweat glands when agitated. Also, since it's a fully evolved Pokémon, Umbreon can learn the moves Hyper Beam and Giga Impact and even though Umbreon is a -type it is able to learn the move Psychic. Although Umbreon looks small, it has a strong endurance. Its base stats make it a good choice for defensive trainers.
Umbreon stalks silently during the night, hunting for prey under the cover of darkness. When it senses an enemy's presence, it waits for its enemy to come into range. When it attacks, its rings give off a bright golden light.
Umbreon evolves from Eevee if it achieves a certain level of high friendship and achieves that at night.
|Black 2/White 2||Evolve Eevee||None|
Side game locations
|Pokémon Trozei!|| Secret Storage 20|
Mr. Who's Den
|Red Rescue Team & Blue Rescue Team||Evolve Eevee with Lunar Ribbon|
|Explorers of Time & Explorers of Darkness|| Concealed Ruins (B1F-B29F)|
World Abyss (B1F-B29F)
|Pokémon Ranger||Fiore Temple|
|Pokémon Ranger: Shadows of Almia||Chroma Ruins|
- Main article: Umbreon/Learnset Generation II
- Main article: Umbreon/Learnset Generation III
- Main article: Umbreon/Learnset Generation IV
|Leveling Generation VI|
|1||Tail Whip||—||100%||30||[[Move#Status||Status ]]|
|1||Helping Hand||—||—%||20||[[Move#Status||Status ]]|
|22||Quick Attack||40||100%||30||[[Move#Physical||Physical ]]|
|29||Confuse Ray||—||100%||10||[[Move#Status||Status ]]|
|36||Faint Attack||60||—%||20||[[Move#Physical||Physical ]]|
|50||Last Resort||140||100%||5||[[Move#Physical||Physical ]]|
|57||Mean Look||—||—%||5||[[Move#Status||Status ]]|
|78||Guard Swap||—||—%||10||[[Move#Status||Status ]]|
- Umbreon is the only non Synchronize. -type Pokémon with the ability
- Umbreon used to be the only pure Generation II. -type Pokémon in
- Umbreon is one of only nine pure dark-types, The others are Poochyena, Mightyena, Absol, Darkrai, Purrloin, Liepard, Zorua, and Zoroark. .
- Despite it being able to spray poison, it only knows Toxic via TM06 which most Pokémon know. It isn't even a -type.
- Umbreon is the first Dark-type Pokémon in National Dex order, and is right next to another one .
- Umbreon cannot learn any Special moves while leveling up.
- It's one of the most sought after and popular Eeveelutions, probably because of its somewhat gothic (and cute) appearance.
- This Pokémon is one of the most cosplayed Pokémon, including the shiny version.
- Umbreon is the only "eeveelution" that doesn't have a type disadvantage to any other "eeveelutions" (although Jolteon wouldn't be weak to any of the others attacks, and Leafeon is resistant to its STAB moves)
- Umbreon's rings light up in the dark just like the moon.
- Umbreon's name comes from the Latin prefix "umbr" which means "shadow" hence the words umbra, penumbra, and umbrella.
Umbreon's name originates from Umbra and Eon. Umbra means shade or shadow. Eon means a long period of time. That's because since it is one of the seven evolutions of Eevee, it comes from a "long line of evolutions", or an eon of evolutions.
- Pokémon.com Pokédex
- Serebii.net Pokédex data
- Legendary Pokémon data
- The Pokémon Database
- Pokémon Dream Pokédex data
- Psypokes Psydex data