Torkoal (Japanese: コータス Kotasu), the Coal Pokémon, is a -type Pokémon.
Torkoal is a rust-red tortoise whose black shell has seven coal vents.
It digs through mountains in search of coal, which it stuffs in the vents and burns inside its shell for energy. The vents can be used to blow out volcanic ash when Torkoal is in danger or angry, providing a smoke screen for its retreat. It may also blow smoke through its nostrils, sounding very like a locomotive. It consumes extra coal to prepare for a battle, but grows weaker as its fire dies down.
Torkoal is the second of the "turtle trio", which, like the "starter Pokémon" for each game version, has one Blastoise and Torterra, it can withdraw into its hard shell to protect itself. It has the White Smoke ability.-Type, one -type, and one -Type representative. Like its cousins
In the anime
Ash battled the final member of the Battle Pyramid using his Torkoal. Torkoal lost to Registeel. They rematched several times before Ash's victory.
Torkoal does not evolve.
|Emerald||Fiery Path, Magma Hideout||Uncommon|
|Diamond/Pearl||Route 227, Stark Mountain (PokéRadar)||Rare|
|Platinum||Route 227, Stark Mountain (PokéRadar)||Rare|
|X/Y||Kalos Route 18||Common (Walking/Grass), Uncommon (Walking/Red Flowers)|
- Torkoal has the Torkoal has the highest Defense base stat of all Fire types.
- It is tied with Slugma and Litwick for the lowest Speed base stat of all Fire types.
- Despite Torkoal usually consumes energy(coal) to keep itself going and makes a sound similar to a locomotive's whistle, doing so doesn't increase its movement speed as much, only makes it more 'efficient' and energetic rather than powerful.
- Torkoal is essentially a Pokémon that resembles a furnace, or an old-version of kitchen stove.
Torkoal's name is the portmanteau of "tortoise" and "coal".
- Pokémon.com Pokédex
- Serebii.net Pokédex data
- Legendary Pokémon data
- The Pokémon Database
- Pokémon Dream Pokédex data
- Psypokes Psydex data