Steel-type Pokémon are made of, or coated with, steel. They, along with Rock-type Pokémon and Ground-type Pokémon, are the three types that represent earth's minerals (all three are immune to the Sandstorm weather condition) with steel representing metal. Steel Pokémon are known for their resilience and strength.
Magnemite and Magneton were the first Pokémon to be reclassified from a single-type (Electric-types) to a Steel/Electric dual-type. This was because, like the Dark-type, Steel Pokémon were not introduced until Generation II, and the Magnemite family were first introduced in Generation I.
Steel-type Pokémon possess 11 resistances, higher than any other single Pokémon type. They also have a full immunity to Poison attacks. They are highly effective against Ice and Rock-types but have weaknesses to Fire, Ground and Fighting-type attacks.
Steel types are renowned for having the largest amount of resistances defensively, but have a large amount of resistances offensively, too.
Abilities of Steel Pokémon
- Anticipation - Just Wormadam (Trash Cloak) ; This is a Bug/Ground ability.
- Clear Body
- Defiant - Unique to the Pawniard family.
- Download - Just Genesect; This is a Normal ability.
- Flash Fire - Just Heatran; This is a Fire ability.
- Heatproof - Unique to the Bronzor family.
- Hustle - Just Durant; This is a Flying/Normal ability.
- Hyper Cutter - Just Mawile; This is a Water ability.
- Inner Focus - This is a Fighting ability.
- Intimidate - Just Mawile; This is a Normal ability.
- Iron Barbs - Unique to the Ferroseed Family.
- Justified - Just Cobalion; This is a Fighting ability.
- Keen Eye - Just Skarmory; This is a Flying ability.
- Levitate - Just the Bronzor family; This is a Psychic ability.
- Magnet Pull
- Minus - Just the Klink family.
- Multitype - Unique to Arceus (Steel Arceus).
- Plus - Just the Klink family.
- Pressure - Just Dialga; This is a Flying ability.
- Rock Head - This is a Rock ability.
- Sand Force - Just Excadrill; This is a Ground ability.
- Sand Rush - Just Excadrill; This is a Ground/Normal ability.
- Serene Grace - Just Jirachi; This is a Normal ability.
- Shell Armor - Just Escavalier; This is a Water ability.
- Steadfast - Just Lucario; This is a Fighting ability.
- Sturdy - This is a Rock ability.
- Swarm - This is a Bug ability.
- Technician - Just Scizor; This is a Normal ability.
- Torrent - Just Empoleon; This is a Water ability.
- Analytic - Just the Magnemite family; This is a Normal ability.
- Flame Body - Just Heatran; This is a Fire ability.
- Heavy Metal
- Light Metal
- Mold Breaker - Just Excadrill; This is a Dragon ability.
- Overcoat - This is a Bug ability.
- Sheer Force - This is a Fighting/Ground/Water ability.
- Soundproof - Just the Shieldon family; This is a Normal ability.
- Telepathy - Just Dialga; This is a Psychic ability.
- Truant - Just Durant; This is a Normal ability.
- Weak Armor - Just Skarmory; This is a Rock ability.
Steel Pokémon families
|Unevolved||First evolution||Second evolution||Other type|
|Pineco||Forretress||-||Bug; Only Forretress is Steel|
|Onix||Steelix||-||Ground; Only Steelix is Steel|
|Scyther||Scizor||-||Bug; Only Scizor is Steel|
|Piplup||Prinplup||Empoleon||Water; Only Empoleon is Steel|
|Burmy||Wormadam||-||Bug (Trash Cloak)|
|Riolu||Lucario||-||Fighting; Only Lucario is Steel|
|Nosepass||Probopass||-||Rock; Only Probopass is Steel|
|Drilbur||Excadrill||-||Ground; Only Excadrill is Steel|
|Karrablast||Escavalier||-||Bug; Only Escavalier is Steel|