Shuckle (Japanese: ツボツボ Tsubotsubo) is a type Pokémon introduced in Generation II. It has the highest non-legendary base Defense and Special Defense stats, but has very low Attack, HP, Special Attack, and Speed stats. It is usually used as a stalling Wall, with moves such as Sandstorm, Toxic, Gyro Ball (for the sake of a decent offensive move), and Withdraw. A Shiny Shuckle appeared in the episode A Better Pill to Swallow as a purple one, despite shiny Shuckles being blue. It is known for its massive amount of Defense and resembles a turtle or tortoise. It can withdraw into its shell like a tortoise. It is able to make Berry Juice. It may have a massive amount of Speed, Attack, etc. if it uses Power Trick so then it may become very powerful with its attack./ -
Shuckle appears to be a small yellow turtle inside a red shell with many holes in it, fitting all four of its legs out. Some beige-like color surrounds the holes in Shuckle's body.
Shuckle has the abilities Sturdy and Gluttony along with the hidden ability Contrary. Sturdy protects Shuckle from one-hit KOs whilst Gluttony increases the healing restoration of Shuckle when it eats a berry. Finally, Contrary makes stat changes have opposite effects.
In the anime
In JL070: A Better Pill to Swallow, a Shuckle appeared. Butch's Shuckle and Conway's Shuckle appeared in DP065: Sleight of Sand! and DP185: Working on a Right Move! respectively. Shuckles also made more minor appearances in the anime.
|Gold/Silver||Rock Smash boulders in Cianwood City or Vermilion City||Rare|
|Crystal||Rock Smash boulders in Cianwood City or Vermilion City||Rare|
|Emerald||Rock Smash boulders in Areas 5-6||Common|
|Diamond/Pearl||Route 224 (Insert Pokemon Emerald after obtaining the National Pokédex||Rare|
|Platinum||Route 224 (Insert Pokemon Emerald after obtaining the National Pokédex||Rare|
|HeartGold/SoulSilver||Rock Smash boulders in Cianwood City and Vermilion City||Rare|
Side game locations
|Pokémon Channel||Colbat Coast|
|Pokémon Trozei!||Secret Storage 8, Trozei Battle, Mr. Who's Den|
|Red Rescue Team & Blue Rescue Team||Mt. Blaze (5-9F), Howling Forest (7-11F), Oddity Cave (6-9BF)|
|Explorers of Time & Explorers of Darkness||Upper Steam Cave (1-7F), Landslide Cave (1-12BF)|
|Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs||Wireless Tower, Fire Temple|
- Main article: Shuckle/Learnset Generation II
- Main article: Shuckle/Learnset Generation III
- Main article: Shuckle/Learnset Generation IV
|Leveling Generation VI|
|1||Struggle Bug||30||100%||20||[[Move#Special||Special ]]|
|31||Gastro Acid||—||100%||10||[[Move#Status||Status ]]|
|43||Power Trick||—||—%||10||[[Move#Status||Status ]]|
|49||Bug Bite||60||100%||20||[[Move#Physical||Physical ]]|
|55||Power Split||—||—%||10||[[Move#Status||Status ]]|
|55||Guard Split||—||—%||10||[[Move#Status||Status ]]|
| Bold indicates this Pokémon receives STAB from this move.|
Italic indicates an evolved or alternate form of this Pokémon receives STAB from this move.
- Shuckle has both the highest base defense of all Pokémon and the highest Special Defense of all Pokémon, with 230 each.
- Shuckle couldn't use any Bug-type moves in Pokémon Platinum despite Bug being its primary type.
- Shuckle is the only Pokémon with a function that is not an ability (changing of Oran Berry to Berry Juice then finally into a Rare Candy.)
- It is possible for Shuckle to have the highest attack of all the Pokémon using the move Power Trick which switches a Pokémons Attack and Defense. The drawback on those tactics is his pretty low ATK value, peaking at 130, meaning that he can become pretty defenceless once he inverts ATK and DEF values.
- Despite Pokédex Entries saying that Shuckle has weak muscles, Shuckle is able to learn Rock Smash and Strength possibly because of its hard defense shell.
- Shuckle is the only dual-type Pokémon that can naturally have the ability Gluttony.
- Pokémon.com Pokédex
- Serebii.net Pokédex data
- Legendary Pokémon data
- The Pokémon Database
- Pokémon Dream Pokédex data
- Psypokes Psydex data