|Class:||Trainer, Pokémon Performer|
|First Appearance:||Kalos, Where Dreams and Adventures Begin!|
|Voice actor:|| Mayuki Makiguchi (Japanese)|
Haven Paschall (English)
Serena is a Pokémon trainer of the Kalos region and one of Ash's traveling companions. Her goal is to become a top-class Pokémon Performer. She and Ash met before the start of the series when Ash aided her in her time of need. She developed a crush on him from that day on and it is one of her most notable characteristics, evidenced by her blushing whenever she looks at or talks to him.
Serena's first outfit consisted of a dark gray tank top with a white collar, dark gray stockings, caramel hair that reaches above her waist, red skirt, black hi-tops, and a dark pink hat paired with a black hatband and ribbon bow. Serena marks a return to basing Ash's female companion off of that generation's female player character. However, Serena is also the first to have undergone minor cosmetic changes for the transition to the anime, whereas May and Dawn remained the same. Among the cosmetic changes are:
- She appears younger or shorter than her game counterpart.
- The hair is a slight caramel (that looks mostly brown) color, rather than platinum blonde, though it features her anime counterpart's hair color as an optional hair color, and seems slightly shorter.
- Her skin tone is very faintly darker than her game counterpart.
- Her fingernails are short and trimmed like most other characters on the show, rather than long like her game counterpart's.
- Her fingernails are kept natural without any nail polish on, while her game counterpart wears a faint pink nail polish.
- Her shirt collar is white instead of black.
- The sunglasses on the hat are replaced by her tiny bow.
- She doesn't have a Mega Ring.
- Her eyes are blue despite the fact that her game counterpart's is a gray color. (Even her game counterpart's contacts can be changed to blue.)
- Her hat appears larger, more curved, looking similar to a straw hat.
- She wears high top shoes unlike her game counterpart, who wears sneakers; however they are in the same design.
- The line going down from the top of her shoes, down to the soles, is one straight line, while on her game counterpart's sneakers, they are two separate lines.
- She also does not have the purse that her game counterpart does, instead having a backpack.
Starting from XY060 onwards, she wears a new outfit with her hair over her shoulders and wears a new reddish-pink fedora, a bright pink dress with a white collar, black tube top underneath, and a red waistcoat with a blue ribbon in her chest that Ash gave her, the same stockings, and brown boots. When she was young, she wore a pink dress, with Mary Jane shoes, and a straw hat tied by a light pink hatband, and ribbon.
Serena is a very kind and polite girl. She always seems concerned about what her friends are doing. She also has a passion for fashion and clothes. She tries to find the prettiest clothes, and finds that whatever her mother picks out tends to be the less fashionable. Knowing this, she hates getting dirty and being soaked in mud. She loves to bake for her friends, who always delight in getting to eat what she makes for them.
Despite being Ash's newest female companion and having just started her journey, she met him when they were younger back in Pallet Town years ago at Professor Oak's Pokémon summer camp. Serena was lost in the woods while trying to look for the rest of her group but got herself wounded after getting startled by a Poliwag. But at that very same moment, Ash came to her rescue and escorted her out. Since that day, they have been together as childhood friends for a long time before Ash started his journey.
Years later, Serena was always woken up by her mother's Fletchling and doing morning training with her Rhyhorn. Despite her mother's attempts to help her daughter become a Rhyhorn racer, Serena would complain on how much she hated it, especially when Rhyhorn knocked her off its back. Later that same day, Serena and her mother were watching the news on TV about a Garchomp rampaging across Lumiose City. As they watched, they spotted a boy accompanied by a Pikachu and a Froakie climbing to the top of Prism Tower to calm it down. When Garchomp was successfully calmed, the ground beneath the boy's Pikachu gave way and the boy jumped off the tower, making Serena gasp out of fear for his safety (though she didn't know it was Ash at the time) and was relieved when he and his Pikachu were miraculously saved by a Mega Blaziken at the very last minute. When the news cut to a shot of Ash and zoomed in closer so the viewers could get a look at his face, Serena was stirred, believing it to possibly be Ash, though she referred to him as "that boy," as she didn't yet have any solid confirmation that it was him. It was Ash's reappearance in Kalos that convinced Serena to start out on her journey to become a Pokemon Trainer.
The next day Serena went to Lumiose City to get her very first Pokémon from Professor Sycamore. When she got there, she found out two things: that it was in fact Ash she'd seen, and that he was headed to Santalune City for his first Gym Battle. Serena chose Fennekin as her starter and traveled to Santalune City. When she arrived she found Ash in the middle of a Gym Battle but witnessed him lose to Viola's Vivillon. Her hopes of reconnecting with him were dashed when he ran right past her without looking at her, but fortunately she noticed he'd left his backpack behind. She met up with him at the Pokemon Center to return it and was about to ask him if he remembered her before being interrupted by the Pokémon Center bell. She later got to ask him properly during a break in his training; in typical Ash fashion, he did not, much to her dismay. She told Ash where she'd seen him and repeated the words he'd once said to her during their first encounter: "Don't give up 'til it's over!" Those words gave Ash the inspiration he needed to continue his training as it reminded him that he needed to remember his fighting spirit.
She later helped him again during his Gym battle by calling out to him to remember the training from yesterday, which successfully helped him to win his first Kalos League badge. After that Ash asked Serena to travel with him, Clemont and Bonnie, which she happily accepted.
Serena is somewhat skilled at Rhyhorn Racing. She showed Ash how to ride a Rhyhorn, which shows she knows a lot from her mother teaching her about them. In the episode it is revealed that Serena does not like Rhyhorn Races, but throughout the episode she grew to like them better than before. On the day before the Rhyhorn Races, she baked cookies for Ash, Clemont, and Bonnie in the middle of the night. The next day, the Rhyhorn Races began, but it was interrupted as Team Rocket disabled the cameras. Serena became worried that something terrible might have happened to Ash, so she came along with Clemont and Bonnie to see what was going on. When they found him, they discovered that he had been ambushed by Team Rocket and they find him trapped in a net while his Pikachu and the Rhyhorn were trapped in cages. As Clemont used his Bunnelby to trap Team Rocket in a ditch, Serena and Bonnie arrived to rescue Ash. Serena used her Fennekin to fight off Team Rocket and make them drop the remote. This indicated that this is her first Pokemon battle in her journey as a trainer. When Team Rocket was blasted off by the Rhyhorn they captured, she introduced her friends to her mother. She then tells her that she decided to travel with Ash and his friends. She thought her mother would disagree with her decision, but instead she said it would be a better experience for her. Afterwards, she gave her friends each a bag of cookies as a way of saying thank you to Ash for all he did for her.
While traveling, she was unsure about what kind of dream she wanted to chase after. Eventually, after making her very first PokéVision, participating in the Pokémon Summer Camp, meeting a Pokémon Performer named Shauna, and learning about Pokémon Showcase, she decided to pursue to becoming a performer and become the next Kalos Queen.
- Poké Puff Contest: Top 3
- Japanese: Mayuki Makiguchi
- English: Haven Paschall
- Finnish: Alina Tomnikov
- Greek: Afrothiti Antonaki
- Italian: Deborah Morese
- Brazilian Portuguese: Michelle Giudice
- Spanish: Isacha Mengíbar
- Serena is Ash's first companion to have known him personally before the very start of the series.
- Serena is the first companion to have a canonical crush on Ash.
- Serena took the longest time to officially join the main cast since the start of the series, which is seven episodes.
- She is the second main character who's Japanese name is the same as her English name. The first is Iris.
- She is also the second of Ash's female traveling companions to choose a Starter Pokémon (her Fennekin). The first was May when she chose Torchic. -type
- Serena was the first companion whom Ash asked directly to join the group.
- Serena is the first female traveling partner to not get herself or her bike shocked by Pikachu at the start of the series.
- Misty, May, and Dawn all had their bikes electrocuted, while Iris and Bonnie were directly shocked by Pikachu.
- So far, Serena is the only female companion who hasn't argued with Ash or be irritated by his actions. (Misty, May, Dawn, and Iris have all been easily irritated by Ash's recklessness and have had many arguments with Ash during their travels with him).
- However, Serena has scolded Ash a few instances, such as for approaching a Rhyhorn from behind and spooking it, and almost eating an entire slice of chocolate cake meant to be shared by everyone.
- She is the first female companion to completely change her appearance mid-series.