A Pokémon Professor (Japanese: ポケモン博士 Pokémon Expert) is a veritable expert on the Pokémon World. They are notable for giving rookie Trainers their Starter Pokémon. Coincidentally, all of the Professors from the main-stream Pokémon series are named after a plant: Oak, Elm, Ivy, Birch, Rowan, and Juniper. The Professors are also responsible for the distribution of the Pokédex.
List of Pokémon Professors
- Professor Samuel Oak, whom heralds from the Kanto region. His specialty is the study of the relationships between people and Pokémon.
- Professor Elm, whom heralds from the Johto region. His specialty is the study of breeding patterns and interactions between Pokémon.
- Professor Birch, whom heralds from the Hoenn region. His specialty is the study of Pokémon habitats in correlation with human existences.
- Professor Rowan, whom heralds from the Sinnoh region. His specialty is the study of Pokémon evolutionary patterns.
- Professor Aurea Juniper, whom heralds from the Unova region. Her specialty is the study of Pokémon origins in relation to mythology.
- Cedric Juniper, a former Pokémon Professor and father of Professor Juniper.
- Professor Sycamore, whom heralds from the Kalos region.His specialty is the study of the new type of evolution:'mega evolution'.
In the series' extensive medium, there are a variety of Pokémon Professors, many of which stem from the Pokémon anime. This is a comprehensive list of such professors, whose role is limited to being in the anime only.
- Professor Fuji created the genetic clone of Mewtwo on New Island.
- Professor Lund, the foremost expert in terms of Deoxys.
- Dr. Akihabara, credited with creating the Pokémon Transfer System and discovering the cyber-species of Porygon.
- Professor Felina Ivy is the professor in the Orange Islands.
Conversely, there are also Pokémon Professors whose role is limited to being featured in manga-related material. Such persons will be listed here.
- Professor Yanase Berlitz, whose research revolved around methods to control Legendary Pokémon. Is also the mother of Platinum Berlitz, a Pokédex Holder and heir to the Berlitz Family throne. (Pokémon Adventures series only)
- Professor Berlitz is an associate and assistant to Professor Rowan. (Pokémon Adventures series only)
- Although most Pokémon Professors are named after trees (For example, Oak, Elm, Birch, etc.) but the Pokémon Professors in games outside of main-stream versions do not follow this pattern.
- Professor Juniper is the only female main-stream professor.
- Professor Sycamore is the only Professor that can be battled in game legitamately and the only one that gives out starter Pokemon from a different region.