Porygon (Japanese: ポリゴン Porigon) is a type Pokémon introduced in Generation I. It has the National Pokédex number of 137. In Pokémon Platinum, you can get one in Veilstone City by talking to a man in one of the houses.-
Porygon is a Virtual Pokémon. Its body shape looks like a polygon. In various parts of its body, it is colored red, white, or blue. It has a hexagon for an eye.
Porygon can have the ability Trace or the ability Download. Trace copies the opponent's ability. Download increases Porygon's Attack or Special Attack depending on the opponent's defenses. It is the first artificial Pokémon, created by scientists at the Silph Co. company.
In the anime
Porygon appeared in one of the most well known banned Pokémon episodes, Electric Soldier Porygon, which has hospitalized over 700 Japanese children due to flashing red and blue strobes causing them to have seizures. Due to the happened hiatus, the show skipped 4 months after the episode and it was never aired outside of Japan. However, it is available at YouTube (Warning Watch at your own risk). It is based on an Electronic system operator, and teleports with Ash, Misty, and Brock.
|Red/Blue||Rocket Game Corner||Unlimited|
|Yellow||Rocket Game Corner||Unlimited|
|Gold/Silver||Rocket Game Corner||Unlimited|
|Crystal||Rocket Game Corner||Unlimited|
|FireRed/LeafGreen||Rocket Game Corner||Unlimited|
|Diamond/Pearl||Trophy Garden (After National Pokédex is obtained)||Rare|
|HeartGold/SoulSilver||Rocket Game Corner||Unlimited|
|Black/White||White Forest (White only)||Rare|
- Due to the episode, Electric Soldier Porygon, which caused 685 Japanese children to have epileptic seizures, Porygon has never had another appearance in the anime or in any film adaptation of the series, except for one brief cameo appearance at the beginning of the 2005 movie, Pokémon Heroes, and neither have its evolutions, Porygon 2 and Porygon Z, in an effort to block the traumatizing event from the minds of viewers even though it was Pikachu who caused the seizures when it's eyes where blinking red. Porygon made a cameo in an episode in the "Orange Islands" series as a "Who's That Pokémon?" clip.
- Porygon is a pun on the mathematical term, "polygon"
- Porygon can possibly have the ability to go into computers.
- According to the Pokédex, Porygon can travel freely in cyberspace thus able to go into the internet.
- Despite being a manmade Pokémon made of computer data, Porygon can be hatched from an egg.
- Surprisingly, Porygon is not a polygon in the games, but a sprite rather.
- In the episode Electric Soldier Porygon, it appears to be at least 10 feet tall, when its Pokedex entry lists it as being only 2 feet tall. This may be possible because it was in a PC , thus allowing it to change it's shape and appearance.
- Porygon is the only Pokémon that can be evolved through trading twice.
- Porygon's evolution line is the only evolution line to have the Basic Pokémon's name throughout the whole line.
- Porygon has the same cry as Victreebel, except Porygon's cry is higher pitched.
- Pokémon.com Pokédex
- Serebii.net Pokédex data
- Legendary Pokémon data
- The Pokémon Database
- Pokémon Dream Pokédex data
- Psypokes Psydex data