Pokémon Yellow: Special Pikachu Edition, simply referred to as Pokémon Yellow, is the third instalment in the international Pokémon franchise and the fourth in the Japan releases. It is only for GB. Pokémon Yellow is notable as it is the first of the series to allow Pokémon to walk alongside the player character, as well as having an -type Pokémon being the starter Pokémon, as opposed to a -type, -type, or -type.
Pokémon Yellow is very similar to its predecessors, using the same locations and sequences of them, however, Pokémon Yellow expands on the basis of the original pair to become more similar to the anime series. Much like Ash Ketchum's adventures in the Kanto region, the player character begins the game with a Pikachu. After leaving home and walking to the grass where Oak would normally intercept you, you will instead be attacked by a wild Pikachu. Oak catches the Pikachu, and you get taken to the lab. Instead of getting the Eevee, your rival pushes you out of the way and gets Eevee, so Oak gives you Pikachu instead. Pikachu grows more fond of the character over time and refuses to return to its Poké Ball, and has frequent run-ins with Jessie, James and Meowth. Additionally, the starter Pokémon of the original pair, Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle, can all be found in-game. Charmander is received from a poor trainer in the areas north of Nugget Bridge in Cerulean City; Bulbasaur is received from nurses in Cerulean City and Squirtle is received from Officer Jenny after defeating Lt. Surge in the Vermilion City Gym.
Elite Four and Champion
- Pokémon Yellow is the first game in the series to have only one starter Pokémon.
- Pokémon Yellow is the only Pokémon version game to have a pure -type Pokémon as the version mascot.
- Pokémon Yellow is the only game to have a starter Pokémon that needs an Evolution Stone to evolve.
- It is impossible to fully complete the Pokédex without doing the Mew Glitch.
- The gym leaders' Pokémon's levels in Pokémon Yellow are generally higher than those in Pokémon Red/Blue.
- Pokémon Yellow is the first game to feature your starter following the player character.
- Pokémon Yellow is the only game where Pikachu won't evolve, the only way to make it evolve is to trade it, evolve it, then send it back to Yellow.
- During the game, you are able to obtain Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle in different locations, so you are truly able to complete your Pokédex.
- It is the very first game to have color in it, despite the software being released for the original Game Boy and not Game Boy Color.