Pokémon Master is a position that many Pokémon Trainers want to achieve. However, it has never been properly told what a Pokémon Master is and how to achieve such a position of power. There are many theories which try to reveal the mysteries of a Pokémon Master and answer the many questions that can explain the title of a Pokémon Master.
- Many believe that a Pokémon Master is a Pokémon Trainer who has captured all Pokémon.
- However, this would be practically impossible for any Pokémon Trainer to achieve in reality. A Pokémon Trainer would have to capture all the Pokémon, which is extremely hard.
- Many believe that a Pokémon Master is a Pokémon Trainer who has defeated all Gym Leaders and obtained all the Gym Badges.
- Another theory that many believe is that in order to become a Pokémon Master is to defeat the Elite Four and become the Champion.
- A Pokémon Master is a trainer who can never be defeated.
- Ash Ketchum once mentioned that a trainer needed to capture at least one of every type of Pokémon (i.e. Fire, Ice, Dragon, etc...). It is assumed that this excludes Mythic, Legendary, and Extinct types.
- According to The Official Pokémon Handbook, a Pokémon Trainer would deserve the position of Pokémon Master by either capturing or defeating Mewtwo.
- In the anime and manga, this would be practically impossible to achieve.
- In the Electric Tales of Pikachu manga, a Pokémon Master is simply a trainer who is a professional in Pokémon battling, takes part in many Pokémon tournaments and is well known.
- Some believe that one can become a Pokémon Master after defeating the Elite Four and Battle Frontier of every region.
- Mewtwo is referred to as the "greatest Pokémon Master" in the first movie, and is also referrd to as Pokémon Master Mewtwo in Puzzle League. Mewtwo had an incredibly powerful team of Pokémon, possibly meaning that a Master is someone who has a team of powerful high level Pokémon.
- It is also possible that one must win all league tournaments, capture as many Pokémon as possible along with large amount of knowledge of them and become unbeatable to become an Pokémon Master. In the anime, dream version of Professor Oak (created by Mismagius) told Ash that his "records" were high enough to him to enter any master tournament, even though in reality they weren't. This could mean that trainer needs to win enough championships and Battle Frontiers and then compete in specific tournament and win it to become Pokémon master.
- This is Ash Ketchum's main goal as a Pokémon trainer, although it is unknown how close he is to reaching it.