A Pokémon, known as a Pocket Monster (ポケットモンスターPoketto Monsutā) in Japan, is a fictional species that inhabits the Pokémon World. The term "Pokémon", in addition to referring to the Pokémon franchise itself, also collectively refers to the 649 fictional species that have made appearances in Pokémon media. Normally, Pokémon that live in the Pokémon World replace the animals which inhabit the world, although sometimes real world animals appear to exist in the Pokémon World.
Pokémons come in a variety of shapes, some are identical to normal animals such as Rattata's similar appearance to a rat, some take the form of plants such as Exeggutor which resembles a coconut tree. Sometimes Pokémons share no resemblance to any known animals or plants, a few even having humanoid or machine-like shape.
Normally, Pokémons will start their life from Pokémon Eggs through breeding process, but there are some cases that a Pokémon is not born in hatching methods, such as the Legendary Pokémon.
After Pokémons hatch from an egg, they become known as Baby Pokémons, which are the pre-evolutions of Pokémon. By having proper training from their trainer, the Pokémon will receive experience points and level up. When given an Evolution Stone, the Pokémon will gain a different form, giving them a new appearance and new abilities their previous form did not possess. This transition is called evolution. Some Pokémon would need an evolution stone to evolve, such as Eevee, while others need to reach a certain level. Some, however, can go either way, like Poliwhirl, which can reach a level to evolve into Poliwrath, or a stone to become Politoed. Others require trading to evolve. In Pokemon Conquest, some Pokémon need to reach a specific link percentage to evolve, while others need a specific stat to reach a specific number, such as Metang, which needs 111 attack to evolve into Metagross.
Pokémons also have genders as well, it determines whether the Pokémon is male or female in the Pokémon video games. Some Pokémons have a greater chance of being one gender than another, such as Blastoise which has a 87.5% chance of being male, but only a 12.5% chance of being female. Some Pokémons can only be one gender, such as Froslass and Hitmontop. There are also moves that will only work when Pokémon are certain genders.
In certain cases, some Pokémons are classified as genderless, such as the Machine-like Pokémon and the Legendary Pokémon.
Relationship with Human Beings
In the world of Pokémon, human beings have a strong relationship with Pokémon like Pokémon Trainers, who capture and train the animals in their spare time.
Types and Attributes
There are multiple types of Pokémons, which determine the strengths and weaknesses of different Pokémon species. They lay the foundation of a complex yet mostly logical "rock-paper-scissors" or "balance of powers" system that applies to every Pokémon and their respective moves. Some advantages and disadvantages are based on common sense (e.g. Fire-type Pokémon being weak to Water-type attacks), while others are not as obvious (e.g. Fire-type attacks being strong against Steel-type Pokémon, possibly because fire melts metal when at high temperatures).
|Pokémon world||Other planets|
|1.||Ancient Pokémons||Legendary Pokémons||Extraterrestrial Pokémon|