Wikia

Pokémon Wiki

Changes: Pokémon (creature)

Edit

Back to page

(Undid revision 382946 by Markrogers (talk))
m (Wolfdog moved page Pokémon (species) to Pokémon (creature): "Species" is misleading, since it is only used in the real world to refer to the biological classification)
 
(15 intermediate revisions by 9 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
A '''Pokémon''', known as a '''Pocket Monster''' (ポケットモンスター''Poketto Monsutā'') in Japan, is a fictional species that inhabits the [[Pokémon World]]. The term "Pokémon", in addition to referring to the Pokémon franchise itself, also collectively refers to the 649 fictional species that have made appearances in Pokémon media. Normally, Pokémon that live in the [[Pokémon World]] replace the animals which inhabit the world, although sometimes real world animals appear to exist in the Pokémon World.
+
A '''Pokémon''', also known as a '''Pocket Monster''' (Japanese: '''ポケットモンスター''' ''Poketto Monsutā'') in Japan, is any of the 721 documented creatures inhabiting the (fictional) [[Pokémon World]] that are commonly [[Pokémon Trainer|captured and trained]] by the humans of that world, primarily for companionship or to be used in fighting competitions (called [[Pokémon Battle]]s). Most Pokémon resemble animals, though some resemble mythical beings, machines, ghosts, or plants with some animal-like features. Most Pokémon appear to be natural living things, though some are clearly artificial creations (such as [[Porygon]]) or even mystical spirits (such as [[Arceus]]), with much apparent overlap and uncertainty between these categories (such as the ambiguous [[Magnemite]]). Regardless of these distinctions, nearly all Pokémon possess supernatural, element-based powers and abilities. Ordinary, real-world animals are fairly unusual in the [[Pokémon World]].
   
==Characteristics==
+
==Appearance==
Pokémon come in a variety of shapes, some are identical to normal animals such as [[Rattata]]'s similar appearance to a rat, some take the form of plants such as [[Exeggutor]] which resembles a coconut tree. Sometimes Pokémon share no resemblance to any known animals or plants, a few even having humanoid or machine-like shape.
+
Pokémon come in an enormous variety of shapes and sizes, with some nearly identical to normal animals. such as [[Rattata]]'s similar appearance to a rat, while others take the form of plants, such as [[Exeggutor]] which resembles a coconut tree. Other Pokémon share no resemblance to any known animals or plants, a few even having humanoid or machine-like shapes.
   
===Life Process===
+
==Life Process==
Normally, Pokémon will start their life from [[Pokémon Egg]]s through breeding process, but there are some cases that a Pokémon is not born in hatching methods, such as the Legendary Pokémon.
+
Normally, Pokémon will start their life from [[Pokémon Egg]]s through breeding process, but there are a few cases in which a Pokémon is not born through hatching methods, for example with the [[Legendary Pokémon]].
   
 
===Evolution===
 
===Evolution===
<p style="line-height: 15.75pt"><span lang="EN" style="font-family: 'Helvetica', 'sans-serif'; color: #3a3a3a; font-size: 10pt; mso-ansi-language: EN">After Pokémon hatch from an egg, they become known as [[Baby Pokémon]], which are the pre-evolutions of Pokémon. By having proper training from their trainer, the Pokémon will receive experience points and level up. Upon reaching a certain level or happiness rating, or when given an Evolution Stone, or certain Held Items the Pokémon will gain a different form, giving them a new appearance and new abilities their previous form may not have possessed. This transition is called evolution. </span></p>
+
After Pokémon hatch from an egg, they become known as [[Baby Pokémon]], which are the "pre-evolved" forms of a Pokémon. By having proper training from their trainer, the Pokémon will receive experience points and level up. Upon reaching a certain level or happiness rating, or when given an Evolution Stone, or certain Held Items, most base-level Pokémon will metamorphose into an advanced new form, giving them a changed appearance and new abilities their previous form may not have possessed. In the Pokémon World, this transition is called [[Evolution]]. 
Gender
 
Pokémon also have genders as well, it determines whether the Pokémon is male or female in the [[Pokémon]] video games. Some Pokémon have a greater chance of being one gender than another, such as [[Blastoise]] which has a 87.5% chance of being male, but only a 12.5% chance of being female. Some Pokémon can only be one gender, such as [[Froslass]] and [[Hitmontop]]. There are also moves that will only work when [[Pokémon]] are certain genders.
 
   
In certain cases, some Pokémon are classified as genderless, such as the Machine-like Pokémon and the Legendary Pokémon.
+
==Gender==
  +
Most Pokémon also have one of two genders, determining whether the Pokémon is male or female (in the [[Pokémon]] video games). Some Pokémon have a greater chance of being one gender than another, such as [[Blastoise]] which has a 87.5% chance of being male, but only a 12.5% chance of being female. Some Pokémon can only be one gender, such as [[Froslass]] and [[Hitmontop]]. There are also moves that will only work when [[Pokémon]] are certain genders.
   
===Relationship with Human Beings===
+
In certain cases, some Pokémon are classified as genderless, such as machine-like Pokémon and the Legendary Pokémon.
In the world of Pokémon, human beings have a strong relationship with Pokémon like [[Pokémon Trainer]]s, who capture and train the animals in their spare time. In Pokémon Conquest, Warriors (The trainers in the side game) would '''link''' with Pokémon to catch them and would be restricted from linking with some due to types of the Pokémon itself or its evolved forms. They would also only be able to reach a specific link with the Pokémon. In a case where the link can reach 100%, that Pokémon is the Warrior's perfect link. Warriors and Pokémon would be in sync with eachother during this time.
 
   
===Types and Attributes===
+
==Relationships with Human Beings==
  +
In the world of Pokémon, human beings have strong relationships with Pokémon, particularly as [[Pokémon Trainer]]s, who capture and train the creatures in their spare time or as their main career. Successful Pokémon Training is considered a highly prestigious and labor-intensive calling in the Pokémon World, and some enter into Training with dreams of achieving the title of "[[Pokémon Master]]."
  +
  +
===Relationships with Warriors===
  +
In ''Pokémon Conquest'', Warriors (the Trainers in the side-game) would '''link''' with Pokémon to catch them and would be restricted from linking with some due to types of the Pokémon itself or its evolved forms. They would also only be able to reach a specific link with the Pokémon. In a case where the link can reach 100%, that Pokémon is the Warrior's perfect link. Warriors and Pokémon would be in sync with each other during this time.
  +
  +
==Types and Attributes==
 
There are multiple types of Pokémon, which determine the strengths and weaknesses of different [[Pokémon]] species. They lay the foundation of a complex yet mostly logical "rock-paper-scissors" or "balance of powers" system that applies to every Pokémon and their respective moves. Some advantages and disadvantages are based on common sense (e.g. [[Fire Pokémon|Fire-type]] Pokémon being weak to [[Water Pokémon|Water-type]] attacks), while others are not as obvious (e.g. Fire-type attacks being strong against [[Steel Pokémon|Steel-type]] Pokémon, possibly because fire melts metal when at high temperatures).
 
There are multiple types of Pokémon, which determine the strengths and weaknesses of different [[Pokémon]] species. They lay the foundation of a complex yet mostly logical "rock-paper-scissors" or "balance of powers" system that applies to every Pokémon and their respective moves. Some advantages and disadvantages are based on common sense (e.g. [[Fire Pokémon|Fire-type]] Pokémon being weak to [[Water Pokémon|Water-type]] attacks), while others are not as obvious (e.g. Fire-type attacks being strong against [[Steel Pokémon|Steel-type]] Pokémon, possibly because fire melts metal when at high temperatures).
   
==Category==
+
==Categories==
 
{| border="1" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" style="border-collapse:collapse;"
 
{| border="1" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" style="border-collapse:collapse;"
 
!rowspan=2 align="center" style="background:#efefef; color:#000;" |Generation
 
!rowspan=2 align="center" style="background:#efefef; color:#000;" |Generation
Line 25: Line 25:
 
!colspan=2 align=center style="background:#efefef; color:#000;" |Other planets
 
!colspan=2 align=center style="background:#efefef; color:#000;" |Other planets
 
|-
 
|-
|align=center|1.||[[Ancient Pokémon]]s||rowspan=3 colspan=2|[[Legendary Pokémon]]s||rowspan=3|[[Extraterrestrial Pokémon]]
+
|align=center|1.||[[Ancient Pokémon]]||rowspan=3 colspan=2|[[Legendary Pokémon]]||rowspan=3|[[Extraterrestrial Pokémon]]
 
|-
 
|-
|align=center|2.||[[Current Pokémon]]s
+
|align=center|2.||[[Current Pokémon]]
 
|-
 
|-
|align=center|3.||[[Artificial Pokémon]]s
+
|align=center|3.||[[Artificial Pokémon]]
 
|}
 
|}
 
[[Category:Miscellaneous]]
 
[[Category:Miscellaneous]]

Latest revision as of 02:29, March 23, 2014

Pokémon, also known as a Pocket Monster (Japanese: ポケットモンスター Poketto Monsutā) in Japan, is any of the 721 documented creatures inhabiting the (fictional) Pokémon World that are commonly captured and trained by the humans of that world, primarily for companionship or to be used in fighting competitions (called Pokémon Battles). Most Pokémon resemble animals, though some resemble mythical beings, machines, ghosts, or plants with some animal-like features. Most Pokémon appear to be natural living things, though some are clearly artificial creations (such as Porygon) or even mystical spirits (such as Arceus), with much apparent overlap and uncertainty between these categories (such as the ambiguous Magnemite). Regardless of these distinctions, nearly all Pokémon possess supernatural, element-based powers and abilities. Ordinary, real-world animals are fairly unusual in the Pokémon World.

AppearanceEdit

Pokémon come in an enormous variety of shapes and sizes, with some nearly identical to normal animals. such as Rattata's similar appearance to a rat, while others take the form of plants, such as Exeggutor which resembles a coconut tree. Other Pokémon share no resemblance to any known animals or plants, a few even having humanoid or machine-like shapes.

Life ProcessEdit

Normally, Pokémon will start their life from Pokémon Eggs through breeding process, but there are a few cases in which a Pokémon is not born through hatching methods, for example with the Legendary Pokémon.

EvolutionEdit

After Pokémon hatch from an egg, they become known as Baby Pokémon, which are the "pre-evolved" forms of a Pokémon. By having proper training from their trainer, the Pokémon will receive experience points and level up. Upon reaching a certain level or happiness rating, or when given an Evolution Stone, or certain Held Items, most base-level Pokémon will metamorphose into an advanced new form, giving them a changed appearance and new abilities their previous form may not have possessed. In the Pokémon World, this transition is called Evolution

GenderEdit

Most Pokémon also have one of two genders, determining whether the Pokémon is male or female (in the Pokémon video games). Some Pokémon have a greater chance of being one gender than another, such as Blastoise which has a 87.5% chance of being male, but only a 12.5% chance of being female. Some Pokémon can only be one gender, such as Froslass and Hitmontop. There are also moves that will only work when Pokémon are certain genders.

In certain cases, some Pokémon are classified as genderless, such as machine-like Pokémon and the Legendary Pokémon.

Relationships with Human BeingsEdit

In the world of Pokémon, human beings have strong relationships with Pokémon, particularly as Pokémon Trainers, who capture and train the creatures in their spare time or as their main career. Successful Pokémon Training is considered a highly prestigious and labor-intensive calling in the Pokémon World, and some enter into Training with dreams of achieving the title of "Pokémon Master."

Relationships with WarriorsEdit

In Pokémon Conquest, Warriors (the Trainers in the side-game) would link with Pokémon to catch them and would be restricted from linking with some due to types of the Pokémon itself or its evolved forms. They would also only be able to reach a specific link with the Pokémon. In a case where the link can reach 100%, that Pokémon is the Warrior's perfect link. Warriors and Pokémon would be in sync with each other during this time.

Types and AttributesEdit

There are multiple types of Pokémon, which determine the strengths and weaknesses of different Pokémon species. They lay the foundation of a complex yet mostly logical "rock-paper-scissors" or "balance of powers" system that applies to every Pokémon and their respective moves. Some advantages and disadvantages are based on common sense (e.g. Fire-type Pokémon being weak to Water-type attacks), while others are not as obvious (e.g. Fire-type attacks being strong against Steel-type Pokémon, possibly because fire melts metal when at high temperatures).

CategoriesEdit

Generation World
Pokémon world Other planets
1.Ancient PokémonLegendary PokémonExtraterrestrial Pokémon
2.Current Pokémon
3.Artificial Pokémon

Around Wikia's network

Random Wiki