Pikachu (ピカチュウ Pikachu) is an type Mouse Pokémon introduced in Generation I that is the evolved form of Pichu. Pikachu is famous for being the most well-known and recognizable Pokémon in Generations I-V. Over the past years, Pikachu has become so popular that it serves as the Pokémon franchise mascot. In 1998, it became a Version Mascot for the game Pokémon Yellow. In the anime, Ash's Pikachu has extremely strong powers, this is the reason Team Rocket is after it.-
Pikachu is a small, chubby, rodent-like Pokémon which is covered almost completely by yellow fur. It has long yellow ears that are tipped with black. A Pikachu's back has two brown stripes, and its large tail is notable for being shaped like a lightning bolt. On its cheeks are two circle-shaped red pouches used for storing electricity, they turn yellow and spark with electricity when its about to use an attack such as Thunderbolt.
A female Pikachu looks almost exactly the same as a male, with the exception of her tail. A female Pikachu's tail is rounded at the end and has an inward dent, giving it the appearance of a heart. This, however, is only true in the Nintendo games. In the anime and in previous games, female and male Pikachu's look identical.Like Pichu, Pikachu store most of their electricity within the red areas of their cheeks. It can be seen with small surges of electric energy whenever a Pikachu gets protective, angry, etc.
Pikachu's special ability is Static, which can cause paralysis in battle if hit by a physical move. In Pokémon Black and White's Dream World, the Trainer receives a Pikachu with the Lightningrod ability.
In the manga
In the Anime
In the franchise version, Pikachu was voiced by the female Japanese voice actor, Ike Otani.
- Main article: Ash's Pikachu
Pikachu is the main character in the game PokéPark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure
|Red/Blue||Viridian Forest, Power Plant||Uncommon|
|Yellow||Starter Pokémon, Trade||One|
|FireRed/LeafGreen||Viridian Forest (common if chosen Charmander ) , Power Plant||Rare|
|HeartGold/SoulSilver||Route 2, Viridian Forest||Common|
|Black/White||Poké Transfer, Dream World||None|
- Main article: Pikachu/Learnset Generation I
- Main article: Pikachu/Learnset Generation II
- Main article: Pikachu/Learnset Generation III
- Main article: Pikachu/Learnset Generation IV
|Leveling Generation VI|
|5||Tail Whip||-||100%||30||[[Move#Status||Status ]]|
|10||Thunder Wave||-||100%||20||[[Move#Status||Status ]]|
|13||Quick Attack||40||100%||30||[[Move#Physical||Physical ]]|
|18||Electro Ball||-||100%||10||[[Move#Special||Special ]]|
|21||Double Team||-||-%||20||[[Move#Status||Status ]]|
|45||Light Screen||-||-%||30||[[Move#Status||Status ]]|
| Bold indicates this Pokémon receives STAB from this move.|
Italic indicates an evolved or alternate form of this Pokémon receives STAB from this move.
Side Game Data
Super Smash Bros.
Pikachu has also appeared in all three Super Smash Bros. Series games. Pikachu is a very agile and mobile playable character. In Super Smash Bros., Pikachu was considered the strongest playable character. In Super Smash Bros. Melee, Pikachu's Skull Bash move was introduced, and its Quick Attack ability was upgraded so that it did a small amount of damage to opponents. Pikachu has also once again appeared in Super Smash Bros. Brawl as a playable character, with its exclusive attack Volt Tackle as its Final Smash. If you look at the hat Pikachu and you look at the shiny above and the hat, you would notice it's the Shiny Pikachu with Red's Japanese hat.
Each of Pikachu's alternate forms in Brawl can be seen as a tribute to different Pokémon games; The blue goggles come from Pokémon Colosseum and the red hat comes from the Kanto region games while the green headband comes from Pokémon Emerald.
Though not the first Pokémon created, Pikachu was the first " -type" Pokémon created, conceived after the type was suggested to Sugimori and designed around the concept of electricity and the common symbol for lightning.
The name "Pikachu" is a portmanteau of the Japanese words "pikapika", an onomatopoeia for electric sparkling, and "chū", which is the Japanese onomatopoeia for a mouse's squeak. It may also be based on the pika, a mouse-like animal more closely related to rabbits , but it's behavior (or more noticeably it's eating habits) resemble that of hamsters.
- Ash's Pikachu
- Mewtwo's Pikachu (a clone)
- Puka (Surfing Pikachu in the anime)
- Pika (Red's Pikachu)
- Chuchu (Yellow's Pikachu)
Known Trainers With a Pikachu
- Ash Ketchum
- Red (Adventures) (has a Pikachu named Pika)
- Yellow (Adventures) (has a pikachu that's called Chuchu and temporarily owned Pika)
- Volkner (as a child in the anime)
- Lt. Surge
- Pikachu is the only starter in the canon RPG games that deviates from the usual grass, fire, and water-type Pokémon.
- Pikachu is the only Pokémon to have appeared in every episode, special, and movie in the series in some shape or form.
- Though Pikachu isn't in the Unova Dex, he can be found in a building within Castelia City in the Unova region before the National Dex is obtained, as well as on a billboard above the Castelia City Pokémon Center. There are also several Pikachu shaped hedges in Striaton City. Also, there is a giant Pikachu float next to the Nimbasa City Gym. This implies that many people in Unova know about Pikachu, despite not seeing one for themselves.
- In the 2011 Guinness World Records Book: Gamers Edition, Pikachu placed 20th in the "Top 50 VideoGame Characters of All Time."
- Pikachu was revealed before its pre-evolution, Pichu.
- Pikachu has appeared on more merchandise than any other Pokémon, including the limited edition N64, Game Boy Color, and DS consoles.
- Ash turned into a Pikachu due to Lily's accident in the Pokémon episode Hocus Pokémon, though he turned back into a human at the start of the next episode.
- In the game Pokemon Battle Revolution, Pikachu can use the HMs Surf and Fly.
- Pikachu does not like being inside its Poké Ball in anime but in the manga Pikachu was seen kept inside the Poké Ball.
- Pikachu is shown as a playable character in Super Smash Bros. and Super Smash Bros Brawl, and in SSBB, he makes his first appearance in the Research Facility.
- Pokémon.com Pokédex
- Serebii.net Pokédex data
- Legendary Pokémon data
- The Pokémon Database
- Pokémon Dream Pokédex data
- Psypokes Psydex data