Pidgey resembles a small, plump-bodied bird. It is a brown color, with a lighter colored throat and belly. The tips of its wings share this cream color. Both its feet and beak are a pinkish-gray color. Its plumage is fairly nondescript, particularly compared to its evolutions, Pidgeotto and Pidgeot. It has black markings around its eyes and a small crest of brown and cream feathers above its eyes. It resembles other small flying-type Pokémon, such as Starly, Taillow, and Spearow. However, due to the fact that these Pokémon tend to be unique to a region, with the exception of Spearow, it is likely that they are a result of convergent evolution. Pidgey's feet allow it to walk on the ground for a while, but can also reach out and safely land on perches.
When on the ground, Pidgey flaps its wings to kick up sand and dust that blinds its opponents. It has an excellent sense of direction and homing instincts. It can locate its nest even when far removed from familiar surroundings. These skills enable to be easily trained to deliver messages.
In the anime
Pidgeys often appear in the anime series. They debuted in the first episode, Pokémon - I Choose You!, where Ash Ketchum had attempted to catch one without Pikachu's help. He later mistook a Spearow for a Pidgey, which caused a flock of Spearow to chase him.
Pidgey later appeared as the main Pokémon in Fly Me to the Moon, where Ash and friends find an island of fat Pidgey that could not fly.
|Red/Blue||Routes 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 15, 21, 24, 25||Common|
|Yellow||Routes 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 8, 11, 12, 13, 21, 24, 25, Viridian Forest||Common|
|Gold/Silver||Routes 1, 2, 5, 25, 29, 30, 31, 32, 34, 35, 36, 37, National Park||Common|
|Crystal||Routes 1, 2, 5, 25, 29, 30, 31, 35, 36, 37, National Park, Ilex Forest||Common|
|FireRed/LeafGreen||Routes 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 8, 11, 12, 13, 21, 24, 25, Viridian Forest, Bond Bridge, Berry Forest, Five Isle Meadow||Common|
|HeartGold/SoulSilver||Routes 1, 2, 5, 6, 25, 29, 30, 31, 35, 36, 37, National Park, Viridian Forest||Common|
|Black/White||White Forest (White only)||Common|
Spin-off game locations
|Pokémon Channel||Viridian Forest|
|Pokémon Trozei!||Endless Level 14, Endless Level 33, Forever Level 14, Mr. Who's Den|
|Red Rescue Team & Blue Rescue Team||Tiny Woods (1F-3F), Howling Forest (9F-13F)|
|Explorers of Time & Explorers of Darkness||Concealed Ruins (B1F-B9F), World Abyss (B1F-B15F)|
|Pokémon Rumble||Cold Meadow|
- Main article: Pidgey/Learnset Generation I
- Main article: Pidgey/Learnset Generation II
- Main article: Pidgey/Learnset Generation III
- Main article: Pidgey/Learnset Generation IV
|Leveling Generation VI|
|13||Quick Attack||40||100%||30||[[Move#Physical||Physical ]]|
|33||Wing Attack||60||100%||35||[[Move#Physical||Physical ]]|
|45||Mirror Move||-||-%||20||[[Move#Status||Status ]]|
|49||Air Slash||75||95%||20||[[Move#Special||Special ]]|
| Bold indicates this Pokémon receives STAB from this move.|
Italic indicates an evolved or alternate form of this Pokémon receives STAB from this move.
Pidgey appears to be based off a pigeon.
- Japanese: ポッポ (Poppo in Romaji) from the Japanese onomatopoeic word poppo (ぽっぽ) which means coo.
- English: The name "Pidgey" is a play on the word "pigeon", the name of a common bird.
- French: "Roucool" is a pun using the words "roucouler" (to coo) and "cool" (cool).
- Pidgey are often seen flying in small flocks in the anime.
- Pidgey is the first Pokémon in the National Pokédex order to have 2 abilities.
- Pidgey is the first normal-type Pokémon in the National Pokédex.
- Pidgey was officially going to be named "Pidge".
- Pidgey has the same cry as Jigglypuff except Pidgey's cry is a little lower.
- Pokémon.com Pokédex
- Serebii.net Pokédex data
- Legendary Pokémon data
- The Pokémon Database
- Pokémon Dream Pokédex data
- Psypokes Psydex data