Metapod is an insect-like Pokémon with an appearance similar to that of a green colored chrysalis or cocoon. Although it is covered in its hard shell, Metapod's eyes are still clearly visible and usually appear dazed, drowsy, or angry for reasons unknown.
A Metapod's exterior is regularly hardened to protect its soft and tender innards while undergoing metamorphosis to eventually become a Butterfree. To conserve energy for this event, the Metapod barely moves.
In the anime
In the episode Challenge of the Samurai, Ash battled a Samurai-like trainer using his Metapod against the Samurai's Metapod.
Gym Leader Bugsy used his own Metapod against Ash in the episode Gettin' the Bugs Out. This Metapod proved to be more capable than others in previous episodes as it was actually able to knock out Ash's Chikorita.
In the manga
Metapod make its first apperance in PA002 as one of the Pokémon in Professor Oak's Lab. Yellow had a Caterpie which evolved into a Metapod and then a Butterfree during her battle with Lance. There are also two Metapods which belong to Bugsy.
|Red/Blue|| Viridian Forest, Route 25|
Route 24(Blue only)
|Gold/Silver|| Ilex Forest|
National Park, Route 2, 30, 31(Gold only)
Bug-Catching Contest(Silver only)
|Crystal||Ilex Forest, National Park, Route 2, 24, 25, 30, 31||Common|
|FireRed/LeafGreen||Viridian Forest, Pattern Bush, Route 24, 25||Common|
|Diamond/Pearl||Route 204||Dongle (FireRed)|
|Platinum||Eterna Forest||Dongle (FireRed)|
|HeartGold/SoulSilver||Route 2, 30, 31, National Park, Ilex Forest, Viridian Forest, Bug-Catching Contest, Headbutt trees||Common|
|Black/White||Route 12 (White only)||Rare|
Spin-off game locations
|Pokémon Trozei!||SOL Laboratory 2, Secret Storage 8, Endless Level 4, Mr. Who's Den|
|Red Rescue Team & Blue Rescue Team||Joyous Tower (7-8F)|
|Explorers of Time & Explorers of Darkness||Mystifying Forest (1-13BF), Mystery Jungle (1-29BF), Happy Outlook (1-19BF)|
|Pokémon Rumble||Silent Forest|
|PokéPark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure||Haunted Zone|
- Main article: Metapod/Learnset Generation I
- Main article: Metapod/Learnset Generation II
- Main article: Metapod/Learnset Generation III
- Main article: Metapod/Learnset Generation IV
|Leveling Generation VI|
Metapod appears to be based on a cocoon by a caterpillar.
- English: Metapod came from metamorphosis and pod.
- Japanese: トランセル (Toranseru in Romaji), probably means "trancer" due to evolving from Caterpie to Metapod, or "trance cell" because every cell in its body tranced.
- Despite being immobile, Metapod can still learn Tackle and Bug Bite.
- Metapod, Kakuna, Silcoon, and Cascoon are all known as the Cocoon Pokémon.
- It is possible to catch a Metapod that cannot attack by capturing one that only knows Harden. This also applies to Kakuna, Silcoon, and Cascoon.
- Metapod has a similar cry as Tentacruel.
- Pokémon.com Pokédex
- Serebii.net Pokédex data
- Legendary Pokémon data
- The Pokémon Database
- Pokémon Dream Pokédex data
- Psypokes Psydex data