This Pokémon had a no-nonsense, very serious personality. Although he did not like to fight, he would attack intruders of the Secret Garden without hesitation or anyone attempting or succeeding to inflict harm on his sister Latias. As a result of his personality traits, he was extremely protective of Latias.
Latios and Latias presented some very unique powers in the movie, such as sight-sharing, invisibility and shape shifting. They are also very fast and cover wide ranges in terms of orbits, and rather patient and tenacious. Other than that, he and his sister mainly tackle to fend off enemies, or to emit powerful, protective fields of light that can be enhanced even further in cooperation when they are forced to do so. Also, thanks to his species' assets, he is very agile enough to dodge Pikachu's Thunderbolt quite easily. Fully adopting his abilities, this Latios also seemed to be good at surprise attacking. In total, in spite of his dislike of combats, he is a skilled and fearsome fighter (this might be his natural talent, or result of training by himself to protect his preciouses).
At the end of the movie, Latios had to sacrifice himself to save Alto Mare, and turned into the new Soul Dew, just like his father in the past (it was never said in Japanese version that Soul Dew is the soul of Latios and the father of the siblings).
At the end movie credits, two Latios can be seen flying with Latias. They are believed to be the spirits of Latios and his father (It was also never unspecified who this group of Latios and Latias are, presumably their statuses are unclear whether they are living).
|Safeguard||Heroes: Latios and Latias|
|Tackle||Heroes: Latios and Latias|
|+ indicates this Pokémon used this move recently.*|
- indicates this Pokémon normally can't use this move.
- As long as not being driven by a sense of responsibility to defeat the target, he is seen to be curious, kind and elusive like that of dolphins and whales.
- The sight-sharing is called Yume-Utsushi (夢映し; Dream-casting) in Japanese.
- The technique which is to emit filed of protective lights used for both offence and defense, utlized by Latios and Latias in this movie was almost identical in visual effect with Luster Purge in game versions.
- This Latias and Latios are some of few Pokémons featured in the movies that haven't demonstrated any ranged attacks with projectiles. They are also only legendary Pokémons of dragon type that weren't been involved in battles assertively.
- This Latios is so far the first and only Pokémon in the anime francize as of 2014 to lose one's form (or life) irreversibly without reviving.
- Latias and Latios continue to be worshiped as a guardian deity of the city even today, and are popular from citizens of Alto Mare, equivalent to the winged lion in Venice.