Ivysaur's appearance is very similar to that of its pre-evolved form, Bulbasaur. It still retains the turquoise skin and spots, along with its red eyes. Ivysaur's top fangs are now larger and are visible outside of the mouth. Also, its ears are now darkened to black in the center. The most notable change is that the bulb is starting to bloom, with pink petals visible, and large leaves on the bottom.
The bud that it carried on its back as a Bulbasaur has grown into a full blossom when it had evolved and can grow larger in sunlight. As the blossom grows, Ivysaur loses the ability to stand on its hind legs. The blossom produces a pleasant smell when it is ready to bloom, and Ivysaur is ready to evolve into Venusaur.
Spin-off game locations
|Pokémon Trozei!|| Secret Storage 2|
Mr. Who's Den
|Red Rescue Team & Blue Rescue Team||Western Cave (19F-27F)|
|Explorers of Time & Explorers of Darkness|| Mystifying Forest (B1F-B13F)|
Mystery Jungle (B1F-B29F)
|Pokémon Ranger||Lyra Forest|
|Pokémon Rumble||Quiet Forest|
- Main article: Ivysaur/Learnset Generation I
- Main article: Ivysaur/Learnset Generation II
- Main article: Ivysaur/Learnset Generation III
- Main article: Ivysaur/Learnset Generation IV
|Leveling Generation VI|
| Bold indicates this Pokémon receives STAB from this move.|
Italic indicates an evolved or alternate form of this Pokémon receives STAB from this move.
Ivysaur first debuted in the episode Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden. During the episode, many Bulbasaur gathered to a secret location for an Evolution Ceremony, where they possibly evolved into Ivysaur.
An Ivysaur was in the episode The Ultimate Test, which was used by the entrance exam teacher.
Crystal was shown to own an Ivysaur, seen in the episode Putting the Air Back in Aerodactyl.
Ivysaur is a playable character in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, as one of the three Pokémon usable by the Pokémon Trainer, or Red. Ivysaur is surprisingly agile in the game, being able to jump to a great height and attack with great speed. Its moves, based upon -type moves in the Pokémon games, are SolarBeam, Vine Whip, Razor Leaf, and Bullet Seed.
- It is a member of the only Starter Pokémon family to have the same type as its whole evolutionary line, the others being Bulbasaur and Venusaur.
- Interestingly, all of the Pokémon the Pokémon Trainer uses in Super Smash Bros. Brawl have been used by Ash, including Ivysaur if you count his pre-evolution.
- Ivysaur is the first starter Pokémon to have "Ivy" in its name, the second being Snivy.
- Ivysaur is the only second type. -type starter's first evolution that has a
Similar to Bulbasaur, it appears that Ivysaur's design is based on an flower that has yet to bloom with a small dinosaur below it.
Names in other languages
- Japanese: フシギソウ (Fushigisou in Romaji) from the Japanese words Fushigi (不思議) which means strange and Sou (草) which means herb.
- English: "Ivysaur" is likely a combination of the English word "Ivy" and the Greek word "Sauros", meaning lizard.
- French: "Herbizarre", combination of the French words "herbe" (herb) and "bizarre" .
- Pokémon.com Pokédex
- Serebii.net Pokédex data
- Legendary Pokémon data
- The Pokémon Database
- Pokémon Dream Pokédex data
- Psypokes Psydex data