Creating an account is free and easy. It also provides several benefits that anonymous, non-logged in users do not have, which will make editing and participating easier.
Also, please visit our online demos page for videos demonstrating how to create an account and much much more - Help:Video demos.
Joining the community
Becoming known under a user name means that you will be able to gain reputation and recognition in the community. It's difficult to remember whether or not you have met 22.214.171.124 before!
You can also make a personal user page and a personal talk page. When others leave messages for you on your talk page, a notification banner appears at the top of the Wikia pages you visit. You can also choose to be notified by email when your talk page is edited. Being able to communicate easily with others makes it a lot easier to build a wiki.
Anonymity under your chosen user name
Although those editing without a login are often called "anons" on wikis, they are actually identified by IP number. This is publicly and permanently visible in the service providers. The IP number can't be used to discover any personal information, but in other cases the number can allow others to find out your location or other personal details. If you're worried about this, you should log in to edit. Your IP address will then not be visible to other contributors.
Features for registered users
As a registered user, you can:
- Rename pages (with the "move" tab)
- Upload images
- Keep track of your contributions
- Make a personal watchlist to keep an eye on your favorite articles
- Choose email notification to be notified of changes
- Create a user page to describe yourself
- Maintain a user talk page where others can contact you
- Create user subpages to help organize your wiki work
- Personalize your preferences to tailor the functionality of Wikia to your needs
- Customize your personal stylesheet to change your view of Wikia sites
See Help:User account for more details on these features.