Generation VI (Japanese: 第6世代 Dai Roku-sedai) is the first generation of the Pokémon series to be exclusively 3D and overall sixth generation of main series game. It was announced on 4th January 2013 with announcement of Pokémon X and Y. This generation started with Pokémon X and Y in 2013, following with Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire in 2014. This generation features a new region called Kalos, inspired by France, and the return of the Hoenn region.
This generation bring 72 new kinds of Pokémon in the Kalos region with a possible of 8 new legendaries.
Chronologically, X, Y, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire take place in a different timeline due to Mega Evolution existing in these games.
Generation VI comes with a new way of evolving known as Mega Evolution, which grants some Pokémon an extra stage of evolution. A special stone and item is required for this purpose. Several Pokémon from each generation can have this as evolution.
Pokémon games followed 2D movement with 4 directions up to Generation V. In generation VI, this feature is expanded to 8 directions of up, down, left, right, upper left, upper right, lower left, and lower right.
- It is the first generation to feature remakes in 3D.
- Generation VI introduced the least Pokémon than any other generation with only 70 Pokémon.
- Generation VI is the only generation that does not have:
- A new / Pokémon
- A Gym Leader or Elite Four member specializing in Pokémon
- A new type of Poké Ball
- A Department Store
- This is the first Generation to have games made for mobile devices. This includes "Pokémon TCG Online" and "Camp Pokémon".
- This is the first generation to drop the name "Version" from the name of its games.