Generation VI (Japanese: 第6世代 Dai Roku-sedai) is the first generation of the Pokémon series to be exclusively 3D and overall sixth generation of main series game. It was announced on 4th January 2013 with announcement of Pokémon X and Y. This generation started with Pokémon X and Y in 2013, following with Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire in 2014. This generation features a new region called Kalos, inspired by France, and the return of the Hoenn region.
This generation bring 70 new kinds of Pokémon in the Kalos region with a possible of 6 new legendaries.
Generation VI comes with a new way of evolving known as Mega Evolution, which grants some Pokémon an extra stage of evolution. A special stone and item is required for this purpose. Several Pokémon from each generation can have this as evolution.
Pokémon games followed 2D movement with 4 directions up to Generation V. In generation VI, this feature is expanded to 8 directions of up, down, left, right, upper left, upper right, lower left, and lower right.
- It is the first generation to feature remakes in 3D.
- Generation VI introduced the least Pokémon than any other generation with only 70 Pokémon.
- It also has the least amount of Pokémon with a Mega Evolution at 1, which is ironic as this generation brought Mega Evolution.
- Generation VI is the only generation that did not introduce a new type of Poké Ball.
- Generation VI is the only region that doesn't include: