Froslass are a slightly humanoid Pokémon that appears to be wearing something resembling a kimono. Froslass's entire body is located on her head and not the "dress" that she appears to wear, as the Pokédex states that "what appears to be its body is actually hollow". Over the top of her head is a type of mask with two "horns" made of . On this mask are several openings, one for her mouth, two for her eyes and one in the center of her forehead, all of which reveal her purple skin underneath. Attached to the sides of her head are its arms which increase in width halfway down the her arm and ends at the wrists, enforcing the look of a kimono. On the center of Froslass's dress is a large, tied ribbon or obi, fitting in with the kimono theme. Shiny Froslass are brighter than the normal ones and her ribbon behind are now pink.
In the anime
Froslass made her debut appearance in The Drifting Snorunt!. She appears to Ash and his friends while they are traveling through a snowstorm. She creates an illusion to lure them into a trap so that they help find her lost friend, Snorunt.
Side Game Locations
|Explorers of Time & Explorers of Darkness||Crystal Crossing (9F-13F)|
|Pokémon Ranger: Shadows of Almia||Almia Castle|
Given its gender, types and appearance, Froslass are likely based on the Yuki-onna (雪女 snow woman) from Japanese folklore. Yuki-Onna is said to be a spirit that disguised itself as a beautiful woman to attract men who were lost in snowstorms, then freeze them and take their souls as prize. It was often depicted as wearing a white kimono. They are said to be ghosts of explorers lost in the mountains.
Froslass's English name comes from a combination of the words "Frost" (snow or ice) and "Lass" (girl), similar, in the way she is fashioned, to her Japanese name. Her Japanese name, Yukimenoko, comes from combining the words "Yuki" (snow) and "Menoko" (girl).
- No other Pokémon has the same type combination as Froslass.
- Due to this, Froslass is the only Ice type Pokémon to be immune to Fighting type attacks.
- Froslass and Shedinja are the only Ghost type Pokémon that evolve from a Pokémon that is not a Ghost type.
- Even though Froslass floats in the air, she does not have the ability to do so.
- Froslass is tied with Gengar for the fastest Ghost Pokémon with 110 in their base speed stat.
- Froslass and Cofagrigus are the only Pokémon in tournaments that their Pokémon name is banned because of the words in their names.
- Pokémon.com Pokédex
- Serebii.net Pokédex data
- Legendary Pokémon data
- The Pokémon Database
- Pokémon Dream Pokédex data
- Psypokes Psydex data