With recent developments, among other things, we have been getting a strong feeling that we need to move to greener pastures, i.e. moving offsite to become independent. Now at the moment, the new feature is in testing, but the feature is a huge step towards Wikia and this wiki itself becoming a social networking site, a severe contradiction of what we are about, content. It would take a lot of work if we do move, so we have to be completely sure we want to do this. While this is just a forum for you to comment on, I suggest we talk about this now before we are forced to. -Sincerely, Crimsonnavy
- General Comment: Basically, my thoughts are that this is getting out of hand. I hated Oasis when it first came in, but I later got used to it. I didn't like the idea of chat, but I now use it regularly. And the profile masthead was just a bit... well, it sucks. But I don't use Oasis so I don't see it. New editor is horrid, but again, I don't use Oasis, I don't see it. But this is going to affect Monobook as well, and with that, it'll affect the users of our site who don't want these features, there is a reason Monobook exists. It's for people who don't want these features. But now they're going and making it so that talk pages are odd in both Monobook and Oasis. Quite frankly, I want out. I don't like this. There's a huge difference between facebook and Wikia. Facebook is for socializing, Wikia is for building encyclopedias. At this point, it seems Wikia doesn't care about the veteran users anymore, it's all about the new users. We have to hold their hands and walk with them through the dark path of the park. Well I'm sick of it.
- I think moving to Wikii would be the best bet. As they're fast, have skins that most users would like. And, although the customization isn't as easy as Wikia (for me at least, since I need to learn some more CSS), it can work.
Wikia is getting better with social interaction but that is not the main purpose of a wiki. Wikia the host site is very unstable they might rollout another layout in couple years from now and I am sick of it they move from Monobook to Monaco to Oasis in less than 7 years. All three layouts also have a very massive changes. It is much better for The Pokemon Wiki to move off the site but it needs to be a stable host site. Gaehwasan (Talk·Contributions) 21:16, September 26, 2011 (UTC)
- As a bureaucrat of an affiliate wiki, PokéFanon, I'd say I have a say in this. I support your move, this time they're removing talk pages. That's outrageous. 01:01, September 27, 2011 (UTC)
Since this is open to anyone in the community I figured I'd chime in. Not to be rude, but there's a lot of... erm... poor content here. Moving the wiki would be like a fresh start and could help a lot, although, it'd change a lot, it'd be a better bet and watch as the wiki you've been building for months/years/what have you slowly crumbles apart. If you ask me, moving ins't the best option, but it sure beats living in ruin. — Wattz2000 01:06, September 27, 2011 (UTC)
This new "feature" that Wikia is forcing upon us does nothing but hinder our progress in fixing up our articles. This will make it even more confusing for new users to reply to messages, and looks a little too similar to Facebook. I think Wikia's attempt to make it look more "user friendly" has backfired completely, but still they insist upon advocating that it will be easier to use than current talkpages. I believe that they made the wrong move with this latest update, and I seriously think we should move offsite if they follow through with the Message Wall. After all, Wikia is many things, but a social networking site isn't one of them. And to cite the words of Ohmyno on Central "I'll go ahead and tell you right now: we're not planning on throwing out talk pages and replacing them with comments. We're brainstorming on features that would make talk pages a more effective communication method." this just proves that their words don't necessarily constitute anything set in stone. And if the effective communication method he is referring to is the Message Wall, then count me out.JW Talk 04:13, September 27, 2011 (UTC)
- Possible downfalls: Since I have a wiki on Wikkii with a group of friends, I know that the css and js might not work.
- Now, we could also look at TropicalWikis which would allow us to have better namespace for Pokémon Wiki.
- Or we could run our own site. Which would be hard and someone would have to pay for it :/
Having thought this over more, as much as I'd love to get away from these new features, moving would harm us more than it would benefit us. We'd have Bulbapedia, Pokémon Wiki, and the new wiki, which means we'd have two competitors and we'd have to build up a whole community to make ourselves match just one of the competitors. The Message Wall is going to be horrible, yes, but it can't be as bad as going to a new wiki farm with lower ratings than Wikia. I hate this, but I think it'd be best for us to stay. We'll keep more contributors by staying, we'll keep more views by staying. Yes, Bulbapedia still exists, but if we put enough time and dedication into the wiki, we'll be able to counter them in time and in time we'll be better. We just need the dedication and time, and I know users lose dedication when moves to other sites happen. – Jäzzi 15:00, September 27, 2011 (UTC)