- The following discussion has been closed. The outcome was to not enable article comments.
While this topic has been brought up several times, it's time we take an official vote on this. I think we should enable article comments for a few reasons. For one thing, wiki that have article comments tend to attract more users. I know this may seem like we will attract more vandals, but how is leaving a bad comment vandalizing? It would just be considered off-topic and can easily be deleted by us admins. Another reason is because it will allow users to talk about a certain Pokémon, item, or route, or region, etc, rather than making a blog about each little thing they like about Pokémon. Lastly I want to say that users that have absolutely no idea how to edit, can leave a comment in regards to something that needs to be fixed. This is simply an idea that needs to have official consensus on. Please remain civil when voicing your opinions. Voting will be closed on Monday, August 29, 2011 by Technology Wizard.
- Oppose: Absolutely not. Do you have any idea the mess moving a page causes when there are article comments? Have you ever seen a user move a blog? That's what happens, only it's ten times worse. Talk pages exist for a reason. This is not some cheap wiki for irrelevant comments to be made. We aren't installing article comments. We don't need to deal with the vandalism it brings. We don't need to deal with the spammers. We need to work on actually expanding and perfecting our content, not having some user come and spam the article with useless comments. – Jäzzi 23:57, August 26, 2011 (UTC)
- Oppose: This is exactly the thing that irks me on wikis, and do we really want IPs to give their opinions like "lol pikach0 is the best!" or create some fight amongst users? I think sticking sophistical with this wiki is the way to go and that could be the tie that ruins it. —Pie145
- Oppose: There are ups and downs for article comments. One big one is when someone just spams, and no one can't delete it themselves (similarly to how someone comments on a blog and users are requesting it to be deleted) unlike editing the talk page where you can just remove the unneeded comment. Article comments can just stick to fanon or other wikis that want/need them.
• Bermuda • Contact Me! • 00:32, August 27, 2011 (UTC)
- Oppose: Um... I disagree, I am admin at a wiki that was very spammed with comments. I got so mad at spammers I took away comments. I am sure this wiki will turn out the same. We are lucky we have talk pages and chat. This will also distract users from making edits. I am sorry but I really don't think this is appropriate.
- Oppose: I have seen the chaos that follows article comments, I have seen some wikis that have almost been ruined due to the spam and hatred that comes from article comments. It's hard on admins and is a very unnecessary feature in my opinion. On one wiki I have seen, almost all of the recent changes are comments, which is unacceptable in my honest opinion. The spam and hate wars that spring from article comments is unbelievable, sometimes spreading to other wikis, causing staff to have to intervene. So, after saying all of this, I give a strong no on this matter. 09:04, August 27, 2011 (UTC)
- Oppose: I have seen examples of spam and unnecessary argumentative behavior through the article comments. I'm not budging on this one. The Latias Fan 17:54, August 27, 2011 (UTC)
- Jazzi: This topic is for consensus, not for uncivil arguments, I am an admin of multiple wikis where we gladly allow article comments so you saying that irrelevant comments are for cheap wikis is purely offensive to me and isn't allowed on a discussion like this. Technology Wizard · talk
- Comment: Jumalan. You read too into stuff. And it's my opinion, if you can't handle my opinion that I don't think article comments make for a good wiki, then you don't have to comment on it, because I'm entitled to my own opinion. – Jäzzi 00:23, August 27, 2011 (UTC)
- Jazzi: What's jumalan? Also, I am not questioning/not considering your opinion, I am just saying that it may be offensive and may be consumed in a manner than you may not realize will effect others, that's all I meant. Technology Wizard · talk
- Comment: I do want to say that we might not even know how they will affect our wiki since they have never been enabled. This is just a side note that I wanted to point out. Technology Wizard · talk
- Comment: It depends on the community, in a community with mostly nice members, the comments are fine but in a community that can attract haters, comments can become a problem. Based on the vandalism that we currently have here, such as vandals that do nothing but replace a page with obscenities, dissing Pokémon and its fans, I foresee many troublesome comments. 09:49, August 27, 2011 (UTC)
- Comment: That is a good point. Perhaps in the future if our vandalism dies down a bit, then we can reconsider. Technology Wizard · talk