"The Alluring, Soulful Dancer"
|Class:|| Gym Leader|
|First Appearance||Pokémon Diamond and Pearl|
- "Oh, I'm so horny! Please excuse me. Are you entering a Blowjob Contest? Tehehe... Enjoy yourself, please! Incidentally, Fantina, the Hearthome Gym Leader, also happens to be a Contest expert. And you may ask yourself, how do I know this? Well, I am Fantina! You may challenge me, but not yet! You must become much stronger. Then, you may challenge me!"
- — Fantina, Pokémon Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum.
Fantina (Japanese: メリッサ Melissa) serves as the Gym Leader for the Hearthome City Gym. Fantina specializes in Ghost-type Pokémon, and holds the Relic Badge for the trainers that defeat her. She also has a French accent.
In the Anime
While Ash and his friends had been through Hearthome City more than once, Fantina had been absent from the Gym every time. She debuted in the episode Playing the Leveling Field!, where she battled both Ash and Zoey on two separate occasions, managing to defeat them both.
In the Manga
She saw the contest match and saw a great performance by Platinum. Later she challenged Platinum after Crasher Wake and was defeated. The Pokemon Fantina uses are Duskull, Drifblim, and Mismagius. But Mismagius was a lot of trouble due of her illusions, but Pearl manage to help Platinum by going along with the allusion and defeated Fantina's Mismagius with the move, Fling. She then appeared once more at the Spear Pillar to fight against 3 Team Galatic Commanders and along with 5 other gym leaders.
In the Games
Fantina first appeared in the first Generation IV games as the Hearthome City Gym Leader. In Pokémon Diamond and Pearl, Fantina's Gym has several levels the player must ascend. With each level there is a question to be answered, with three answers are located on three doors, they are usually associated with simple mathematics. Choosing the door with the correct answer leads to the next lift. Choosing the door with the wrong answer leads to a Gym member that the player must battle.
In Pokémon Platinum, the gym setup is different. Players must find a blue tile within a darkened room; then players had to memorize the pattern on that tile and go in the door with the red tile having the same pattern as the blue tile. If you flash your flashlight on a player, then you must battle him/her. All the players in the dark rooms all use Ghost Pokémon. Additionally, however, she was originally the 5th Gym Leader in the Diamond/Pearl games, but became the 3rd Gym Leader in the Platinum version.
|Gen. IV||Platinum||Challenge Sprite||Gen. V|
| || || || |
|Mismagius is a powerful Pokemon being able to defeat Zoey's Glameow, but lost to Ash's Chimchar.|
|Gengar is Fantina's first Pokémon used in her rematch with Ash. It lost to Ash's Buizel.|
|Drifblim is Fantina's main Pokemon which had hatched from an egg. It evolved from Drifloon in the battle with Ash. In the Gym battle it won against Ash's Pikachu and Buizel, but lost to Chimchar.|
Diamond and Pearl
|Lv. 32||♀||Lv. 34||♀||Lv. 36||♀||Lv. ?||-||Lv. ?||-||Lv. ?||-|
|Ability: Aftermath||Ability: Levitate||Ability: Levitate||Ability: Unknown||Ability: Unknown||Ability: Unknown|
|Item: ?||Item: None||Item: Sitrus Berry||Item: ?||Item: ?||Item: ?|
|Astonish||Confuse Ray||Magical Leaf||-||-||-|
|Ominous Wind||Shadow Claw||Shadow Ball||-||-||-|
|Lv. 24||♀||Lv. 24||♀||Lv. 26||♀||Lv. ?||-||Lv. ?||-||Lv. ?||-|
|Ability: Levitate||Ability: Levitate||Ability: Levitate||Ability: Unknown||Ability: Unknown||Ability: Unknown|
|Item: ?||Item: None||Item: Sitrus Berry||Item: ?||Item: ?||Item: ?|
|Shadow Sneak||Confuse Ray||Magical Leaf||-||-||-|
|Future Sight||Sucker Punch||Psybeam||-||-||-|
|Will-O-Wisp||Shadow Claw||Shadow Ball||-||-||-|
|Lv. 61||♀||Lv. 61||♀||Lv. 62||♀||Lv. 63||♀||Lv. 65||♀||Lv. ?||-|
|Ability: Insomnia||Ability: Aftermath||Ability: Pressure||Ability: Levitate||Ability: Levitate||Ability: Unknown|
|Item: ?||Item: None||Item: None||Item: None||Item: Sitrus Berry||Item: ?|
|Shadow Claw||Psychic||Shadow Punch||Shadow Ball||Focus Blast||-|
|Faint Attack||Silver Wind||Rock Slide||Thunderbolt||Psychic||-|
|Thunderbolt||Ominous Wind||Double Team||Psychic||Thunder||-|
|Will-O-Wisp||Baton Pass||Protect||Magical Leaf||Shadow Ball||-|
Black 2 and White 2
- Ghost-type Tournament
|Lv. 50||♀||Lv. 50||♀||Lv. 50||♀||Lv. 50||♀||Lv. 50||♀||Lv. 50||♀|
|Ability: Levitate||Ability: Aftermath||Ability: Pressure||Ability: Pressure||Ability: Cursed Body||Ability: Levitate|
|Item: ?||Item: Flying Gem||Item: Sitrus Berry||Item: Apicot Berry||Item: Ghost Gem||Item: Focus Sash|
|Shadow Ball||Acrobatics||Shadow Ball||Shadow Sneak||Shadow Ball||Shadow Ball|
|Calm Mind||Explosion||Sucker Punch||Pain Split||Recover||Nightmare|
|Pain Split||Sucker Punch||Nasty Plot||Will-O-Wisp||Water Spout||Hypnosis|
- Sinnoh Gym Leader/World Leaders Tournament
|Lv. 50||♀||Lv. 50||♀||Lv. 50||♀||Lv. 50||♀||Lv. 50||-||Lv. 50||♀|
|Ability: Levitate||Ability: Aftermath||Ability: Pressure||Ability: Pressure||Ability: Levitate||Ability: Levitate|
|Item: ?||Item: Flying Gem||Item: Sitrus Berry||Item: Apicot Berry||Item: Electric Gem||Item: Psychic Gem|
|Shadow Ball||Shadow Ball||Shadow Ball||Shadow Sneak||Shadow Ball||Hex|
|Psychic||Thunder||Dark Pulse||Curse||Charge Beam||Dream Eater|
|Calm Mind||Acrobatics||Will-O-Wisp||Pain Split||Substitute||Nightmare|
|Power Gem||Tailwind||Calm Mind||Confuse Ray||Pain Split||Hypnosis|
- Download Tournament (The Battle of Legendary Pokémon!)
|Lv. 50||-||Lv. 50||♀||Lv. 50||♀||Lv. ?||-||Lv. ?||-||Lv. ?||-|
|Ability: Levitate||Ability: Levitate||Ability: Aftermath||Ability: Unknown||Ability: Unknown||Ability: Unknown|
|Item: ?||Item: Lum Berry||Item: Wacan Berry||Item: ?||Item: ?||Item: ?|
|Shadow Force||Shadow Ball||Shadow Ball||-||-||-|
|Shadow Sneak||Pain Split||Baton Pass||-||-||-|
|Draco Meteor||Confuse Ray||Psychic||-||-||-|
Name Meaning from phantom, and "Fantine", of the French novel "Les Misérables".
- English: Bella Hudson
- Japanese: Kikuko Inoue
- Polish: Katarzyna Laska
- Spanish: Mercedes Cepeda
- Iberian Spanish: Georgina Sanchez
- Fantina has appeared in the most episodes outside of any gym leader except Brock, Misty, Cilan, and Iris. She has appeared in 7.
- She has had the most evolutions for a Gym Leader.
- Despite becoming the 3rd gym leader in Platinum, the spot where you place her badge remains the same as the 5th one. This is similar to how Maylene's and Crasher Wake's badge case spots remained unchanged, even though the order you battled them changed.
- Her name is a reference to a "Phantom", a type of ghost.
- If you look at her hair from the back, it resembles the badge you get if you win against her.
- Fantina is a fan of Dahlia.
- All of her Pokemon are females.
- The brooch on her dress resembles Drifblim and Drifloon's mouth.
- Strangely in the Download Tournament in Black 2 and White 2, Fantina's Giratina is in it's Origin Forme without holding the Griseous Orb.