Arriving back in Solaceon Town, Ash and his friends are in a park reading an article in the Sinnoh Star about a mysterious scarf monster roaming the town, causing widespread rumors, but they don't seem to be interested. Along the way to Angie's house, they spot a shadow of a mysterious creature that looks similar to the monster the article was referring to, though the shadow soon disappears.
Upon arriving at Angie's house, the gang greets themselves once again to an old friend. After having dinner, Ash tells Angie of a mysterious creature they saw; Angie becomes worried and leaves the room immediately. The gang follows her to a cave where she says to keep the mysterious creature, but the problem is the creature is nowhere to be found. Team Rocket, who are trying to track down this creature, are acting as news reporters. They spot Officer Jenny standing in front a pool of water and Team Rocket asks the police officer of any evidence of what the clue is. Officer Jenny replies that it is saliva. Back at the park a trap is set to catch the creature, the trap succeeds as the creature comes closer and closer to the trap. The creature turns out to be a Pokémon, a Lickilicky. Angie tells the gang that she was looking after a Lickitung when suddenly it used Rollout and evolved and, according to daycare rules, the carer must not let a Pokémon evolve at any circumstances.
Team Rocket then ask Ash and his friends where the creature went, which Ash lies about. As Team Rocket leaves, Angie inflates the tube surrounding Lickilicky's neck with helium, which makes it float, and they return it to the cave. Nearby, a man fishing spots a creature in the forests flying overhead and is terrified.
The next day, Team Rocket creates a mecha to catch the creature. This machine lures the creature by using a ball of Pokémon food, which the smell will lure the creature to it. The plan succeeds as the Lickilicky follows the scent. Ash and Angie go to the cave to get Lickilicky, but then they see nothing but a broken rope. As Lickilicky is approaching the ball of Pokémon food, Ash and friends arrive to tell Team Rocket that it is actually a Lickilicky, but they disagree as a Lickilicky doesn't wear a tube. Angie gets furious and orders Shinx to use Crunch on the tube to pop it. Team Rocket then realizes that it really is a Lickilicky, but Jessie refutes this, claiming the tube makes it the creature. They try to capture Lickilicky, but the tables turn and Team Rocket are blasted off by Pikachu's Thunderbolt. At that very moment Angie's parents arrive.
After telling them what happened, Angie's father is furious but as the Trainer of the Lickilicky is actually happy about the evolution, Angie is let off easy as the gang says goodbye to Angie. Her parents then tell her that she and Ash should get married and look after the daycare, at which point Ash sneezes.
- Team Rocket seems to think that the unknown creature is a Kappa in the Japanese version.
- Lickilicky's Trainer uses several English phrases, such as "Thank you very much" in the Japanese version. In the dub, he speaks in an Italian accent, even mentioning Italian phrases.
- The dub's title is a pun on the phrase, "If the shoe fits, wear it".
- This is the first time the narrator reads the "TO BE CONTINUED..." sign out loud.
- In the games, Pokémon Day Cares will not evolve a Trainer's Pokémon even if the Pokémon meets the evolutionary requirements. It is mentioned several times in the episode that the Day Care should not evolve Pokémon, however, the Lickitung they were raising did in fact evolve under their care.
- The Sinnoh Star, the newspaper Brock was reading at the start of the episode, featured the ruins in Celestic Town and the Lustrous Orb from the previous episodes.
- Professor Oak's Pokémon lecture: Magikarp
- Jessie makes a reference to the 1958 song The Purple People Eater in the dub by stating that Lickilicky is a "One eyed, purple people eater."
- This episode confirms that Angie has a crush on Ash.
- In Japan, it is common for people to say that sneezing means that someone is talking about you.
- After Meowth announced the Team Rocket Scheme to capture the "scarf monster", Wobbuffet can be heard, even though it was inside its Poké Ball the whole time.
- Ash incorrectly tells Team Rocket that it's Angie's Lickilicky, when it really belongs to someone else.
- The Pokémon food ball used by Team Rocket attracts only Lickilicky, but not the other wild Pokémon that exist in the forest.