The TV news, Sinnoh Now, is on television. There are reports that Wallace, a former Gym Leader turned to the Champion, has arrived to Sinnoh. He has set up the Contest named the Wallace Cup, takes place near Lake Valor. He expects Coordinators to come to participate in this event. Dawn is very happy to see Wallace came to Sinnoh and now watches Ash's training. Buizel uses Water Gun, though Turtwig and Pikachu spin to dodge. Turtwig uses Energy Ball, but misses, while Pikachu uses Iron Tail. Buizel collides, though Pikachu spins him. Brock is impressed by the training and asks him which Pokémon should he use at Pastoria City's Gym. Ash decided to use Turtwig and Pikachu, but does not know who else, so Gligar flies over to him and knocks him out.
Dawn thinks a while and concludes Ash takes quite a lot from Pokémon to show their strength. So, she now wants her training. Dawn calls Buneary and now fells very confident to win. Piplup uses Whirlpool, Buneary bounces, Ambipom uses Swift and Pachirisu Discharge. Dawn wants more power, so the Pokémon get into more training. Dawn remembers Zoey's words, as the Pokémon need to be shown in best light and goes to stop the training, but gets electrocuted by all attacks. Dawn is all right, but she has a moment of doubt what to do. Ash and Brock tell her as long as they show their appeal, she has nothing to worry about.
Suddenly, they are approached by the Sinnoh Now staff. They ask the heroes if they have seen Wallace, but Ash and Brock do not know who that is. Dawn is somewhat surprised they have not heard of him, as he is an example of the best Coordinator. Rhonda explains Wallace travels to regions and starts the Wallace Cup; a Contest in which the winner gets a ribbon which can be used at any region. Since it is on the way to Pastoria City, the heroes plan to go there and Dawn to enter the Cup. Rhonda heard Wallace is somewhere near, as he has a day off. Since Dawn wants to meet him, Ash and Brock will help her find him.
Team Rocket overhears this. Naturally, Jessie wants to compete, to honor Dustox. She has the strategy that worked in her previous Contest. Meowth and James know that charm had nothing to do with it, but still confirm it to Jessie. The heroes wander and come across a fog. They spot a Milotic singing. The heroes spot Wallace on a nearby rock. Wallace admits he has lots of time to work, so his pleads to get a day off have worked. Dawn apologises for the intrusion and lets him know they won't tell anyone he is here. Ash tells Dawn will be entering the Cup, pleasing Wallace, so he asks her to show some of her moves right now. Ash has an idea - she can battle him, like in a Contest battle. Dawn accepts the challenge and they move to a better spot.
Ash sends Buizel and Dawn her Piplup. Piplup uses BubbleBeam, so Buizel uses SonicBoom to collide. Buizel uses Water Gun, though Piplup spins to dodge. Next, Piplup pecks, but Buizel negates the move. Buizel uses Aqua Jet, impressing Wallace. Still, Piplup uses Whirlpool to negate the attack. Wallace is impressed by both sides. Wallace is told Buizel was Dawn's Pokémon and asks of Ash to enter the Contest with Buizel. Ash admits he is very excited and forgets it is a Contest. Still, Dawn tells Ash it would be good for Buizel, as it never was in Contest with Ash. Wallace turns to Dawn and likes the moves, but the way they are performed should be more natural than they are. Wallace asks Dawn if she has played with her Pokémon. Dawn now realizes she has been working so much she forgot about fun.
Jessie, as Jessilina, Meowth and James (disguised) appear as well. Jessie gives some appreciation. She sends Seviper, who has a similar appearance to Milotic. She also wants to enter the Cup so Wallace could cheer for her, so Meowth and James restrain her. Wallace calls Milotic and wants to give them a performance for such a time. Milotic starts using Safeguard. Next, it uses Aqua Ring and pushes the water drops with Dragon Pulse. Lastly, it flies near everyone, then uses Twister to give a dramatic view. Jessie would like Seviper to learn Aqua Ring, but Wallace lets her know Seviper cannot use that move. Wallace would like everyone to see at the Cup, then disappears.
Jessie thinks with Wallace supporting her, she will have an instant win. Jessie goes away, while Brock and Ash know Dawn will succeed this time. Rhonda is pleased to learn they recorded everything, but the camera man tells her the battery died, leaving her furious. Dawn remembers Wallace's words and promises to do her best, as it improves appeal by just playing with Pokémon. Joy tells Ash he has a message from someone from Snowpoint City, at the most northern city. In Snowpoint City, Joy tells the woman Ash called, so the woman will contact him now. The woman, however, is May.
- This episode begins the five-part Wallace Cup arc.
- This episode uses the Eterna Forest music as background music.
- Jessie's Dustox was removed from the opening.
- Instead of Professor Oak's Pokémon lecture, the end of the episode featured a memorial to Mewtwo Strikes Back. This is part of a countdown to Giratina and the Sky Warrior.
- May makes a cameo at the end in Snowpoint City's Pokémon Center, wearing her game counterpart's outfit from Pokémon Emerald.
- May's Japanese voice actress is credited as 鈴木カオリ Kaori Suzuki.
- The dub title refers to the phrase "My Cup Runneth Over", a line in the 23rd Psalm.
- Sinnoh Now's Japanese logo at the beginning of the episode is left intact in the dub.
- Rhonda refers to the various different regions of the Pokémon world as one country in this episode.
- In India, the original English opening song We Will Be Heroes was mistakenly broadcasted instead of the Hindi Dubbed one (हम बनेंगे हीरोस (Hum Banéngé Heroes)). This error persisted until Cream of the Croagunk Crop!.
- Team Rocket doesn't blast off or recite their motto in this episode.
- The Snorlax in the next episode preview was incorrectly given Munchlax's color scheme. This was fixed for the preview that aired on Pokémon Sunday and in the actual episode.
- At the head of the dub, the narrator talked about the "Pokémon Contest of Pastoria City". There is no Contest in Pastoria City. However, there is a Gym.
- When Ash sent out Buizel to battle with Dawn, the spot on the top-left corner of his face was not filled in.
- When Dawn was walking with Ash and Brock, Dawn's eyebrows were missing.
- In Finnish dub Ash says he uses Water and Ground types on Pastoria Gym instead of Water and Grass types.