Butterfree is an insect-like Pokémon appearing as a large butterfly. Butterfree has a large purple body with light blue limbs and a nose with very small fangs. Its eyes are quite large in proportion to its head and are a red color. Butterfree's large wings simply appear as black and white butterfly wings.
Regular Butterfree have the ability Compoundeyes which raises its accuracy rating by 30%. Outside of battle, Compoundeyes will raise the chances of finding a Pokémon with an item if the user is in the lead slot of the party.
In battle, it flaps its wings at high speed to release highly toxic dust into the air.
In the anime
Butterfree first appeared in the episode Challenge of the Saumrai where Ash Ketchum's Metapod evolved into a Butterfree near the episode's end. Ash used this Butterfree on a number of different occasions, but eventually released it in the episode Bye Bye Butterfree. Other notable Trainers to include Butterfree in their team include Ritchie and Drew.
|Gold/Silver|| Bug-Catching Contest, National Park|
Route 2, Trees(Silver only)
|Crystal||Bug-Catching Contest, National Park, Route 2, 24, 25, Trees||Uncommon|
|HeartGold/SoulSilver||Route 2, Bug-Catching Contest, Viridian Forest, Headbutt trees||Rare|
|Black/White||Route 12 (White only)||Rare|
Spin-off game locations
|Pokémon Channel||Viridian Forest|
|Pokémon Trozei!||Secret Storage 1, Mr. Who's Den|
|Red Rescue Team & Blue Rescue Team||Evolve Metapod|
|Explorers of Time & Explorers of Darkness||Apple Woods (1-7F)|
|Pokémon Rumble||Silent Forest|
|PokéPark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure||Meadow Zone|
- Main article: Butterfree/Learnset Generation I
- Main article: Butterfree/Learnset Generation II
- Main article: Butterfree/Learnset Generation III
- Main article: Butterfree/Learnset Generation IV
|Leveling Generation VI|
|12||Stun Spore||—||75%||35||[[Move#Status||Status ]]|
|12||Sleep Powder||—||75%||15||[[Move#Status||Status ]]|
|28||Silver Wind||60||100%||5||[[Move#Special||Special ]]|
|34||Rage Powder||—||—%||20||[[Move#Status||Status ]]|
|42||Bug Buzz||90||100%||10||[[Move#Special||Special ]]|
|46||Quiver Dance||—||—%||20||[[Move#Status||Status ]]|
Butterfree vaguely resembles the Inachis io butterfly. However, its wings are white instead of colored.
- English: "Butterfree" is a portmanteau of the words "butterfly" and "free".
- Despite Butterfree being a Generation III. -type, Butterfree could not learn any -type moves until
- Butterfree and Beautifly are both known as the Butterfly Pokémon.
- Despite the color of Butterfree's body mainly being purple, it is classified as a White in the Pokédex, being its wing color.
- Butterfree is the first non-starter Pokémon introduced to have more than one types.
- Interestingly, the Butterfree that Ash's Butterfree left with is not the regular shiny coloration. (Bye Bye Butterfree)
- Pokémon.com Pokédex
- Serebii.net Pokédex data
- Legendary Pokémon data
- The Pokémon Database
- Pokémon Dream Pokédex data
- Psypokes Psydex data