Butterfree is an insect-like Pokémon appearing as a large butterfly. Butterfree has a large purple body with light blue limbs and a nose with very small fangs. Its eyes are quite large in proportion to its head and are a red color. Butterfree's large wings simply appear as black and white butterfly wings.
Regular Butterfree have the ability Compoundeyes which raises its accuracy rating by 30%. Outside of battle, Compoundeyes will raise the chances of finding a Pokémon with an item if the user is in the lead slot of the party.
In the anime
- Main article: Ash's Butterfree
Butterfree first appeared in the episode Challenge of the Saumrai where Ash Ketchum's Metapod evolved into a Butterfree near the episode's end. Ash used this Butterfree on a number of different occasions, but eventually released it in the episode Bye Bye Butterfree. Other notable Trainers to include Butterfree in their team include Ritchie and Drew.
|Gold/Silver|| Bug-Catching Contest, National Park|
Route 2, Trees(Silver only)
|Crystal||Bug-Catching Contest, National Park, Route 2, 24, 25, Trees||Uncommon|
|HeartGold/SoulSilver||Route 2, Bug-Catching Contest, Viridian Forest, Headbutt trees||Rare|
|Black/White||Route 12 (White only)||Rare|
Spin-off game locations
|Pokémon Channel||Viridian Forest|
|Pokémon Trozei!||Secret Storage 1, Mr. Who's Den|
|Red Rescue Team & Blue Rescue Team||Evolve Metapod|
|Explorers of Time & Explorers of Darkness||Apple Woods (1-7F)|
|Pokémon Rumble||Silent Forest|
|PokéPark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure||Meadow Zone|
- Main article: Butterfree/Learnset Generation I
- Main article: Butterfree/Learnset Generation II
- Main article: Butterfree/Learnset Generation III
- Main article: Butterfree/Learnset Generation IV
|Leveling Generation VI|
|12||Stun Spore||—||75%||35||[[Move#Status||Status ]]|
|12||Sleep Powder||—||75%||15||[[Move#Status||Status ]]|
|28||Silver Wind||60||100%||5||[[Move#Special||Special ]]|
|34||Rage Powder||—||—%||20||[[Move#Status||Status ]]|
|42||Bug Buzz||90||100%||10||[[Move#Special||Special ]]|
|46||Quiver Dance||—||—%||20||[[Move#Status||Status ]]|
| Bold indicates this Pokémon receives STAB from this move.|
Italic indicates an evolved or alternate form of this Pokémon receives STAB from this move.
Butterfree vaguely resembles the Inachis io butterfly. However, its wings are white instead of colored.
- English: "Butterfree" is a portmanteau of the words "butterfly" and "free".
- Despite Butterfree being a Generation III. -type, Butterfree could not learn any -type moves until
- Butterfree and Beautifly are both known as the Butterfly Pokémon.
- Despite the color of Butterfree's body mainly being purple, it is classified as a White in the Pokédex, being its wing color.
- Butterfree is the first non-starter Pokémon introduced to have more than one types.
- Interestingly, the Butterfree that Ash's Butterfree left with is not the regular shiny coloration. (Bye Bye Butterfree)
- Pokémon.com Pokédex
- Serebii.net Pokédex data
- Legendary Pokémon data
- The Pokémon Database
- Pokémon Dream Pokédex data
- Psypokes Psydex data