Beedrill is an insect-like Pokémon with the appearance of a very large wasp. However, unlike a wasp, Beedrill only has four limbs, with the front-most limbs featuring two large, spear-like stingers. A third stinger is located on its tail end. The shiny version of a Beedrill is a light green color with blue eyes instead of red.
According to the Pokédex, Beedrill can fly at great speeds and can attack in swarms. Additionally, its three stingers all secrete a toxic poison, with the stinger on its tail being the most venomous.
In the anime
A running gag throughout the course of the series features characters disturbing a Beedrill's hive and then being chased by the swarm of Beedrill.
Ash owned a Beedrill for one episode in The Bug Stops Here. He caught this Pokémon during a Bug-Catching Contest. It was then given to Casey, since she is a fan of yellow-black striped Pokémon. Casey is seen using this Beedrill in the episode Those Darn Electabuzz.
|Gold/Silver|| Bug-Catching Contest(Gold only)|
Bug-Catching Contest, Route 2, Trees
|Crystal||Bug-Catching Contest, Trees||Uncommon|
|HeartGold/SoulSilver||Route 2, Bug-Catching Contest, Viridian Forest, Headbutt trees||Rare|
|Black/White||Route 12 (Black only)||Rare|
Spin-off game locations
|Pokémon Channel||Viridian Forest|
|Pokémon Trozei!|| Endless Level 2,|
Endless Level 19,
Forever Level 51,
Mr. Who's Den
|Red Rescue Team & Blue Rescue Team||Evolve Kakuna|
|Explorers of Time & Explorers of Darkness|| Apple Woods (8F) (Darkness)|
Midnight Forest (B1F-B21F) (Darkness)
|Pokémon Ranger||Lyra Forest|
|Pokémon Ranger: Shadows of Almia|| Vien Forest|
|Pokémon Rumble||Silent Forest|
- Main article: Beedrill/Learnset Generation I
- Main article: Beedrill/Learnset Generation II
- Main article: Beedrill/Learnset Generation III
- Main article: Beedrill/Learnset Generation IV
|Leveling Generation VI|
|1||Fury Attack||15||85%||20||[[Move#Physical||Physical ]]|
|10||Fury Attack||15||85%||20||[[Move#Physical||Physical ]]|
|13||Focus Energy||-||-%||30||[[Move#Status||Status ]]|
|25||Toxic Spikes||-||-%||20||[[Move#Status||Status ]]|
|28||Pin Missile||14||85%||20||[[Move#Physical||Physical ]]|
|37||Poison Jab||80||100%||20||[[Move#Physical||Physical ]]|
| Bold indicates this Pokémon receives STAB from this move.|
Italic indicates an evolved or alternate form of this Pokémon receives STAB from this move.
Beedrill appears to be based on a bee or wasp.
- English: Beedrill's English name is a combination of the words "Bee" and "Drill".
- Japanese: Its Japanese name, "Spear", is in reference to its spear-like stingers.
- French: "Dardargnan" is a combination of the word "dard" (sting) and the name "D'artagnan" from the famous fencer appearing in Alexandre Dumas' novel The Three Musqueteers.
- Originally, Beedrill's name was supposed to have one letter "L", rather than two.
- Despite not being affected by sleeping moves in the anime, Beedrill does not have the ability Soundproof.
- Despite being able to fly, Beedrill is not a Levitate, making it susceptible to -type moves. -type nor does it have the ability
- Beedrill is the only member of its evolution family to be featured in the spin-off crossover game Pokémon Conquest.
- Pokémon.com Pokédex
- Serebii.net Pokédex data
- Legendary Pokémon data
- The Pokémon Database
- Pokémon Dream Pokédex data
- Psypokes Psydex data