Torterra was first caught as a Turtwig after battling Ash and his Pikachu.
While battling Paul's Honchkrow in DP100, Turtwig evolved into Grotle, but lost due to its lowered Speed. But after learning how to cope with its defense from Paul's Torterra when it fought Gliscor, Ash managed to make Grotle stronger and Grotle learned Rock Climb. Since evolution, Grotle managed to defeat foes like Candice's Sneasel.
With its new size and strengths, Torterra now knows more powerful moves such as Leaf Storm in addition to the moves Energy Ball, Rock Climb and Synthesis. Despite its size and power, it has been defeated in several battles against Pokémon it should have an advantage over: Volkner's Electivire, Bertha's Hippowdon and Paul's Drapion, though mostly because not only did they have moves Toterra vulnerable against, but they had better maneuverability over it and it's size made it an easy target.
Ash decided to leave Torterra at Professor Oak's Lab when he made a fresh start for Unova. It currently resides at Professor Oak's Lab.
|Tackle||Gettin' Twiggy With It!|
|Razor Leaf||Gettin' Twiggy With It!|
|Bite||Gettin' Twiggy With It!|
|Synthesis +||Gettin' Twiggy With It!|
|Energy Ball +||Team Shocker!|
|Rock Climb +||The Lonely Snover!|
|Leaf Storm +||The Fleeing Tower of Sunyshore!|
|+ indicates this Pokémon used this move recently.*|
- indicates this Pokémon normally can't use this move.
- When it was a Turtwig, Torterra's way of showing affection was by biting on someone's head.
- Torterra is the only Pokémon in Ash's Sinnoh team that has never defeated any of Paul's Pokémon.
- Throughout its evolution, Torterra has relied on specific stats to battle.
- As a Turtwig, Torterra relied on speed, accuracy, and evasiveness.
- As a Grotle, Torterra relied on defense, patience, and precise attacks.
- As a Torterra, Torterra relied on attack power, strength, and healing.
- After evolving from Grotle to Torterra, its was the first time Ash had two fully-evolved starter Pokémon from the same region.
- Torterra is the second fully-evolved Grass-Type Starter Pokemon Ash owns; Sceptile is the first.
- It has been defeated in several battles against Pokémon it should have an advantage over: Volkner's Electivire, Bertha's Hippowdon and Paul's Drapion.