Torkoal was found under attack by a bunch of Steel Pokémon in the valley. When Ash arrived to rescue it, it ran off but eventually followed Ash's instructions and defeated the Steel Pokémon.
It is an emotional and sensitive Pokémon which has been known to burst into tears, and blow smoke out of its nostrils, when happy. Torkoal hasn't been in many gym battles but is used in standard battles on many occasions and proves its strength in those battles.
Torkoal's first gym battle was against Norman in Balance of Power. Ash choose Torkoal to battle Norman's Slakoth after Pikachu was called back and defeated Slakoth with a single Flamethrower. But it got defeated by a powerful Scratch attack from Norman's Vigoroth.
Torkoal was one of the Pokemon that Ash used during the Hoenn league championships. Its only actual victory during the tournament was against Tyson's Shiftry.
After the Hoenn League, Ash decided to give it some time off at Professor Oak's Laboratory. He later used Torkoal to battle Brandon's Registeel. Although Torkoal had the type advantage and had learned the powerful Heat Wave attack, Registeel was too powerful and although Torkoal exhausted the legendary Pokémon it lost the battle.
|Flamethrower +||All Torkoal, No Play|
|Overheat||All Torkoal, No Play|
|Iron Defense +||Manectric Charge|
|Body Slam +||Pearls are a Spoink's Best Friend|
|Heat Wave +||Overjoyed!|
|+ indicates this Pokémon used this move recently.*|
- indicates this Pokémon normally can't use this move.
- Shin-ichiro Miki (Japanese)
- Maddie Blaustein (English 4Kids dubbed)
- Jimmy Zoppi (English PUSA dubbed)
- Torkoal is Ash's first Ash's Talonflame. -type Pokémon to not be a starter, followed by
- Torkoal is the only Pokémon Ash caught in Hoenn that isn't capable of evolving.
- Torkoal was the 30th Pokémon species Ash ever owned, counting Haunter, Larvitar, and Raticate.
- Torkoal is shown to be a bit naive and sympathetic as it cries whenever someone else cries, and one time it dove into the sea to help a Spoink find its pearl despite the fact that it can't swim.