As a Cyndaquil, similar to Ash's Charizard, Infernape, and Pignite, Quilava was forced to deal with an abusive trainer before Ash caught it, although unlike Charizard, Infernape, and Pignite it did not actually belong to that trainer.
At first, Cyndaquil had difficulty using its Fire type moves which saw it lose to a Steel-type Pokémon, Skarmory during JE036: Hot Matches!.
As such, it embarked on a training regime with Ash and it also finally gained the ability to ignite the flames on its back at will with the training also raising Cyndaquil's attack and speed.
Cyndaquil was used frequently in the Johto region and was left at Professor Oak's lab when Ash went to Hoenn.
|Flamethrower +||Good 'Quil Hunting|
|Tackle||Good 'Quil Hunting|
|Agility -||Hot Matches!|
|Swift||From Ghost to Ghost|
|Quick Attack||From Ghost to Ghost|
|Flame Wheel +||An Old Family Blend!|
|Eruption +||An Old Family Blend!|
|Aerial Ace +||League Unleashed!|
|+ indicates this Pokémon used this move recently.*|
- indicates this Pokémon normally can't use this move.
Voice actors and actress
- It took Quilava the longest of all of Ash's Pokémon to evolve after spending 507 episodes as a Cyndaquil.
- So far, Quilava is the only one of Ash's Fire-types that did not evolve in its introduction series.
- Quilava is the first of Ash's Fire-type starter evolution that has not evolved into its final form, the second being Pignite.
- Quilava was the first of two Fire-type starter Pokémon that Ash caught that was not abandoned by its original trainer, the other one being Litten.
- Quilava is Ash's first Pokémon that is not a flying type to learn the move Aerial Ace, followed by Greninja.