Before the events of The Battle Club and Tepig's Choice! in the Accumula Town Battle Club, Pignite was abandoned by his trainer as a Tepig, but still needed him here when Shamus made the decision to tie his neck to a post. Ash discovered Tepig eating the bait he and Iris laid out for him and realized that it was actually a Tepig covered in soot and proceeded to catch him.
Since Ash promised to use him in his first Gym Battle, Tepig fought against Chili's Pansear in Triple Leaders, Triple Threats!. His attacks did not do much damage to Pansear, whose Fire Punch, Flamethrower and Dig attacks hit Tepig hard. Tepig then managed to bite Pansear's tail and send it flying, thus winning Ash the gym badge. Tepig was confirmed male in Snivy Plays Hard to Catch! when he was hit by a wild Snivy's Attract, forcing Ash to recall him.
In A Rival Battle for Club Champ!, Tepig battled against Trip's Tranquill. Like Oshawott, Tepig was defeated by Tranquill's Super Luck-boosted Aerial Ace. Tepig battled Lenora's Lillipup in The Battle According to Lenora and was forced back into his Poké Ball by Lillipup's Roar. After training in Rematch at the Nacrene Gym!, he battled Lenora's Herdier where he won using his newly learned Flame Charge attack. In Ash and Trip's Third Battle!, Ash used Tepig against Trip's Vanillite. Despite the type advantage Tepig had, the match ended in a draw. In Battle For The Underground!, while trying to remove Team Rocket from the Battle Subway in Nimbasa City, Tepig learned Flamethrower. Tepig battled alongside Cilan's Pansage in Lost at the Stamp Rally! where they were battling against Subway Masters Emmet and Ingo's Chandelure and Eelektross while in the Battle Subway. It's unknown if they won or lost. Tepig evolved into Pignite in Evolution by Fire! and turned the tide in the battle against his former trainer as he defeated his Emboar and Heatmor with its newly learned Fire Pledge and finished off with Flame Charge. In Caution: Icy Battle Conditions!, Pignite was used against Brycen's Cryogonal and Beartic. He was able to take out Cryogonal by using Fire Pledge to aim for the center of the Rapid Spin but lost to Beartic when it used Aerial Ace for its Fighting-type weakness.
In Rocking the Virbank Gym! (Part 2), Pignite was up against Roxie's Scolipede and after his Flame Charge was blocked by Scolipede's Screech and its Sludge Bomb was intercepted by Pignite's Flamethrower, Pignite used the smoke to his advantage and hit Scolipede with Flame Charge. However, Pignite got knocked out by Garbodor's Hyper Beam.
Pignite battled Dawn's Mamoswine in BW090. Pignite managed to dodge Mamoswine's Hidden Power by quickly jumping and then hitting Mamoswine with a very powerful Flame Charge. It managed to counter Mamoswine's Ice Shard with Flamethrower and Mamoswine used Take Down followed by Hidden Power. Pignite used Flame Charge and hit the Hidden Power head on, knocking both out and ending the battle in a draw. Pignite battled Trip's Serperior in BW094 in the final round of the Junior Cup. Although it had the advantage, it couldn't land a single hit, even after using Flame Charge multiple times to increase its speed. Serperior eventually finished it with Frenzy Plant, knocking Ash out of the tournament and winning Trip the Junior Cup.
|Stage||Episode||Opponent Trainer||Opponent Pokémon||Result|
|Tepig/ Pignite||BW079 (tag with Snivy)||Shamus||Emboar||Win|
|Ember||The Battle Club and Tepig's Choice!|
|Tackle||Triple Leaders, Team Threats!|
|Flame Charge +||Rematch at the Nacrene Gym|
|Flamethrower +||Battle for the Underground!|
|Fire Pledge +||Evolution by Fire!|
|Brick Break +||Cameron's Secret Weapon!|
|+ indicates this Pokémon used this move recently.*|
- indicates this Pokémon normally can't use this move.
- Pignite is Ash's fourth Fire starter and the third to be abandoned by its original trainer.
- Pignite is used by Ash in 5 Gyms, the most of any of Ash's Unova Pokémon, including Pikachu.
- Pignite is the only Unova Pokémon who was never sent to Professor Oak or Juniper.
- Pignite has many things in common with Ash's Charizard and Ash´s Infernape.
- The three are Ash caught in their respective regions to evolve. -Type starters and the only starters
- Both were abandoned by their original trainers. This is also applied with his Infernape, though Infernape was not the only one of Ash's starters to evolve in its respective region like Charizard and Pignite.
- Unlike Charizard and Infernape; who too were abandoned by their original trainers, Pignite is the only one of the three who didn't reach his final evolution.
- Pignite is so far the only Unova starter Pokemon that evolved under Ash's ownership.
- Pignite is the first Fire-type Ash owned that didn't know Flamethrower when caught.
- Like all of Ash's Fire-type Pokémon, Tepig was caught without battling.
- Snivy is Ash's sixth Pokémon to battle its evolved form. The other five were Pikachu, Sceptile as a Treecko, Corphish, Buizel before it, Gliscor as a Gligar, after it, there's Piginte as Tepig, Froakie, and Fletchinder as Flecthling.
- It is also the third of Ash's Pokémon to actually defeat its evolved form, behind Pikachu and Buizel, but before Fletchinder.
- ^ BW007: Get Snivy with Attract?!, Snivy used attract on Pikachu, Oshawott and Tepig (at the time)
- ^ Fire Starters Always Abandoned