Ash's Buizel was caught by Dawn but was traded to Ash because the Buizel preferred battles over contests.
Buizel gained a reputation for being a very powerful Pokemon and proved capable of defeating Dawn's Piplup, Zoey's Glameow and Ash's Pikachu. However because he focused on strength, Buizel was unprepared for contest moves and Dawn managed to capture him.
While Ash and Dawn where preparing for their gym and contest battles, Buizel was showing more interest in what Ash was doing, than the contest, while Aipom was doing the same with Dawn's training. Ash and Dawn traded Aipom and Buizel.
In DP068 Buizel battled Maylene's Lucario and learned Water Pulse. After blowing a hole in the ceiling when his Water Pulse collided with Lucario's Aura Sphere, it started raining and Buizel's Swift Swim was activated. The battle ended in a draw. Later Buizel competed in the Wallace Cup losing to a Lanturn in the top 8.
In DP083 Buizel was used in the Pastoria gym, beating Crasher Wake's two Pokémon, Quagsire and Floatzel. Buizel didn't battle again until DP102 where defeated Fantina's Gengar and lost to Drifblim. In DP108 Buizel battled Byron's Steelix but was defeated by Steelix's Iron Tail.
Ash used Buizel against Paul's Gastrodon and won with Ice Punch. He also battled Paul's Drapion who was attacked with a powerful Pin Missile but Buizel was able to do use Water Gun Counter Shield and dodged Cross Poison. While in the air, Buizel used SonicBoom but Drapion blocked it and ensnared Buizel with its tail claw. Buizel broke free by inflating his floatation sac and then blasting Drapion with Water Gun but Drapion launched Toxic Spikes while Buizel was still in the air. As soon as he landed Buizel was poisoned by Toxic Spikes and Drapion finished him with Pin Missile, resulting in Buizel being knocked out.
- Kiyotaka Furushima, who voices Ash's Sinnoh rival, Paul in the original Japanese version, voices Ash's Buziel in both the Japanese and English-language versions of the anime.
- Buziel is Ash's only Water Pokemon to know an Ice-type move.
- Buizel is Ash's second Pokémon originally obtained in a trade.
- Buizel and Ambipom are the first two Pokémon to be traded between main characters.
- A constant animation quirk that occurs with Buizel is that his eyes briefly turn the same color as his Water Gun. This is almost always seen when Buizel uses Water Gun up close.
|Water Gun +||Buizel Your Way Out Of This!|
|Aqua Jet +||Buizel Your Way Out Of This!|
|SonicBoom +||Buizel Your Way Out Of This!|
|Water Pulse||A Triple Fighting Chance!|
|Ice Punch +||Short and To the Punch!|
|+ indicates this Pokémon used this move recently.*|
- indicates this Pokémon normally can't use this move.
- Ice Aqua Jet - Aqua Jet when fired while spinning directly along with an Ice Beam fired by a partner.