Articuno is a large bird with blue plumage. Its colouring is darkest on its head crest and long, streaming tail. Its body is coloured sky-blue, while growing lighter on its front, and its chest is a lighter blue then anything. Its most distinctive trait is its large wings, which are said to be made of ice. It's eyes are a medium shade of red. In the second Pokémon movie, Articuno also played a major role because only the chosen one (Ash) could place the orb on the altar to end the war of the three legendary birds.
In the anime
Articuno appears in the Anime when a boy named Todd, who loves to take pictures, takes pictures of Articuno in the episode "Freeze Frame". Ash and co. befriended Articuno after Articuno's blizzard blew away Team Rocket.
The same Articuno appears again and is a friend of factory head Noland in the episode "Numero Uno Articuno". Noland became Articuno's friend when he saved the injured Articuno on his plane. Ash attempted to get the Knowledge Symbol by defeating Articuno, which obeyed Noland's command, and he accomplished this by using Charizard.
Side game locations
|Pokémon Trozei!|| Random Agent Cards|
Mr. Who's Den
|Red Rescue Team & Blue Rescue Team||Frosty Grotto (5F)|
|Explorers of Time & Explorers of Darkness||Mt. Avalanche Summit|
|Pokémon Rumble||Gravel Cave|
- Main article: Articuno/Learnset Generation I
- Main article: Articuno/Learnset Generation II
Articuno's name is a cross of the words arctic and uno, the Spanish word for one. The second part of its name indicates that it is the first in the series of Kanto's Legendary Birds.
Its Japanese name is simply Freezer.
It is uninformed that this is purposely made but the last syllable of each of the Legendary Birds is a number in Spanish (ex. Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres). With this in mind, Articuno would be the first of the Legendary Birds.
- Articuno is the first Legendary Pokémon in the National PokéDex.
- As of generation III, Articuno can learn an accuracy focusing move, and a one-hit KO move (Mind Reader and Sheer Cold). It shares this with Smeargle.
- It is, however, the only Pokémon that can learn them directly by level up.
- Articuno, along with Moltres and Zapdos, are the most common legendaries. With at least one game in every generation having access to them, with the exception being generation V and II.
- The last time Articuno was available by event was 2006.
- It is the only member of it's trio that can't learn Heat Wave.
- As it says in name pun, the last few letters were based on Spanish numbers but if you use the first letters of the names: MOltres, Zapdos and ARTicuno, it would spell as: Mozart.