Pokémon (Japanese: ポケットモンスター Pocket Monsters) is an ongoing animated show that follows the adventures of the series' main protagonist Ash Ketchum and his friends (Ash's Pikachu). Since its start in 1997 in Japan, the anime is still run to the present day with many episodes of it. The anime is divided into series and storyline arcs, which are broadcast yearly on networks as "seasons" in the United States airings of the English dub (and subsequently other countries around the world airing the English dub or a version that dubs from it wherever such dubs are distributed), with each season usually being 52 episodes or a similar length to fill in a whole year of broadcasting.
There are also various films, including specials not included in the official count and a spin-off series. As it is based on the Pokémon game series, the anime deals with a lot of the same material such as locations, Pokémon battles, Gym Leaders, and Badges.
It is officially referred to by TPCi as Pokémon the Series, or as "the Pokémon animated series" or "Pokémon animation".
Kanto and Orange Islands
- Main article: Ash Ketchum/Original series (Kanto and Orange Islands)
- Main article: Ash Ketchum/Original series (Johto)
- Main article: Ash Ketchum/Advanced Generation
- Main article: Ash Ketchum/Diamond & Pearl
- Main article: Ash Ketchum/Best Wishes!
- Main article: Ash Ketchum/XY
- Main article: Ash Ketchum/Sun & Moon
- Main article: Episode Guide
Differences from the main series games
- Main article: Differences from the games and the anime
- As of 2010, Pokémon is the fourth longest running animated series behind The Simpsons, Arthur and South Park.
- In 2005, the series ranked 73rd in Channel 4's 100 Greatest Kid's TV Shows vote.