|“||The islands of Alola were given form when underground volcanoes erupted long, long ago. Pokémon came to live in Alola when they flew, swam or were carried on the wind to the isles.||”|
–A book in Trainers' School on third floor
Among the starter Pokémon for beginners are Rowlet, the Grass-type Pokémon (which resembles an owl), Litten, the Fire-type Pokémon (which resembles a kitten), and Popplio, a Water-type Pokémon (which resembles a circus seal, but with a few tricks up its sleeve).
The Alola region consists of eight main islands and one artificial island. Currently, the names are:
- Melemele Island
- Akala Island
- Ula'ula Island
- Poni Island
- Ekahi Island
- Elua Island
- Ekolu Island
- Kalola Island
- Aether Paradise
- Alola's name comes from the Hawaiian greeting, "Aloha".
- This is also the second region to based upon an US state (Hawaii), the first is Unova (which is based on New York and New Jersey).
- It is also worth noting that this is the first region with a palindromic name.
- The two legendary Pokémon are Solgaleo, resembling a lion with a sun motif, and Lunala, resembling a bat with a moon motif.
- This is the first region to have Legendary Pokémon who have Evolved forms.
- Similar to people in Hawaii, Alolan people use "Alola" as a word of greetings.
- This is the second region to not introduce new Fossil Pokémon, the first being Johto.
- This is the first main series game region which does not have Gym Leaders.
Place of Interest
Akala Outskirts · Altar of the Moone · Altar of the Sunne · Ancient Poni Path · Berry Fields · Brooklet Hill · Ekahi Meadow · Ekolu Meadow · Elua Meadow · Exeggutor Island · Haina Desert · Hano Beach · Hau'oli Cemetery · Kala'e Bay · Kalola Meadow · Lake of the Moone · Lake of the Sunne · Lush Jungle · Mahalo Trial · Malie Garden · Melemele Meadow · Melemele Sea · Memorial Hill · Paniola Ranch · Poni Breaker Coast · Poni Coast · Poni Gauntlet · Poni Grove · Poni Meadow · Poni Plains · Poni Wilds · Royal Avenue · Secluded Shore · Ula'ula Meadow · Ultra Space · Vast Poni Canyon · Wela Volcano Park
|Kanto (Sevii Islands) · Johto · Hoenn · Sinnoh (Battle Zone) · Unova · Kalos · Alola|