Combusken's Fire Spin is spiraling out of control in the Lilycove Contest Hall. Combusken protects May, who takes control by having the Fire- and Fighting-type unleash a fireball and perform Sky Uppercut. The performance earns May a decent, but lowered score for losing control in the first place.
Meanwhile, Ash is keeping an eye on the contest from outside while he continues to teach his Swellow Aerial Ace.
Kelly puts on a great performance with Grumpig, using Psychic to catch thrown PokeBlocks. A disguised Jessie is up next with Chimecho, who she hurts and forces to use Astonish--an unusual move that actually earns her a perfect score!
In the next round, May faces off against Jessie and the battle is pretty much even until Chimecho misses with Double-Edge, letting Combusken hit it with Sky Uppercut. Team Rocket retaliatates with yet another one of their attacks, but Swellow drives them off with its new Aerial Ace attack.
May and Kelly face off in the final round, May taking a beating until she comes up with an idea to use Fire Spin on the ceiling which rains down on the whole room , so Grumpig can't possibly escape. May claims victory, earning her third ribbon!
- The Japanese character names Haruka and Kanata are a pun based on はるか彼方 — that faraway place — a line from Advance Adventure.
- This episode marks the second time a Pokémon's attack was sent back by a Psychic attack in the form of a dragon. The first time it was done was by Kadabra in Abra and the Psychic Showdown to deflect Pikachu's ThunderShock.
- This is one of the rare instances where Mr. Sukizo says something that doesn't incorporate "remarkable". When James's Chimecho is using Heal Bell, he says, "I love you guys".
- Team Rocket do not recite their motto in this episode.
- Chimecho received recoil damage from Double-Edge after Combusken dodged the attack. However, Chimecho should have received the damage only if it was able to hit Combusken.
- When it showed the time left after Kelly's Grumpig used Psychic on Combusken, the Point bar was at full for both Trainers.
- This happened again when the time ran out.
- After Combusken saves Grumpig, Grumpig's eyes are purple. This is possibly to show that Grumpig was in shock after the situation.
- During Pokémon Trainer's Choice, Flaaffy's name is incorrectly written as "Flaafy".
- After May wins the Contest, the Ribbon is clearly seen around Combusken's neck. However, May is looking into her hands cupped in font of her, as if she were holding the Ribbon.