The gang arrives to Lilycove City and May sees a sign of the Pokemon Contest, so she plans to win the 3rd ribbon. As they walk, Pikachu is super happy and goes somwhwere. The gang appears to a market dealing in berries. They hear a girl complaining about the prices of berries to a merchant. A man appears, offering the berries. Pikachu eats and Ash follows him, but the berry is sour. Ash eats another one, making the taste less sour. The girl comes and trips over, and the berries are about to be crashed, but the Pokemon she got uses Psychic and saves the berries. Max identifies the Pokemon to be Grumpig.
Everyone claps for the performance and May realizes the girl (who introduces herself as Kelly) is a Pokemon Coordinator. The gang introduces themselves, while Team Rocket spy to get Grumpig. Kelly says to them she gives Grumpig the best berries which she makes a Pokeblock. Max says she won't get the 3rd ribbon, so Kelly and Grumpig tickle her, so she shows the 2 ribbons she got already. Kelly and May are determined to win the Lilycove ribbon. Brock asks Kelly for the Omelette restaurant, but Kelly says they shouldn't go there. Instead, she advises them to go to her house, as her mom cooks better. Her home is a Pokeblock shop, full of many various Pokeblocks.
Kelly's mom arrives and Kelly introduces her friends to her. They all go to eat some of her food, saying it is the famous Lilycove stew. Kelly's mom goes away, while Kelly will show May the shop. Ash goes to training for his next Gym battle, wanting Swellow to learn how to use Aerial Ace. Kelly's mom shows May, Max and Brock how Pokeblocks are made - some ingredients are put in the blender and the blender cuts the ingredients. Swellow attempts to use Aerial Ace, but hits itself in the ground. A man appears and introduces himself as Vladimir "the Attacker", saying he can teach Pokemon any attack. Max, Ash, Pikachu and Swellow bow down to him, wanting Vladimir to teach Swellow Aerial Ace. Vladmir spots the determination, so agrees to train it.
They arrive to a training field. Pidgeotto uses Aerial Ace, so Vladimir tells them the secret - the Pokemon dives high up and goes down, staying low to the ground. The second part is that Pokemon speeds up and rushes, making it seem it disappeared. The last part is that the Pokemon must go with full speed to attack the opponent, so Pidgeotto destroyes one of the targets. Ash, Vladimir and Max place the ramp. Swellow goes up and dives, going underneath the ramp. They place the ramp lower, but Swellow gets hurt, however it is still determined to be trained. May chopped the berries and puts them in the blender. Kelly tells that she tests on her Pokemon the Pokeblocks until it is perfect. Kelly eats the Pokeblock, but it is weak.
Brock and Kelly tell her she needs to use more berries. Kelly says she needs to keep notes which berries she used. May's Pokemon try the berries and they don't find it delicious (except Beautifly). May wonders if Kelly experimented or did her mom give the recipes, so Kelly says that mom didn't give any recipe, leaving Kelly to experiment. Kelly thinks she will take the family buisness, maybe even teach people the art of Pokeblocks. Kelly thinks May will become a Top Coordinator or an Instructor, but May says she will travel with her Pokemon until she decides next. May swears that her Pokemon will do their best, so Kelly tells her the same. Suddenly, Grumpig is taken by Team Rocket. Combusken uses Sky Uppercut, cutting the baloon.
Bulbasuar grabs Grumpig with Vine Whip and Beautifly uses Silver Wind, blasting Team Rocket off. Kelly thanks May for the rescue, so May thinks she'll use Combusken for the Contest. Team Rocket landed in a trash can, so Jessie sees the Pokemon Contest. Jessie will enter the Contest with James' Chimecho. When he refuses to, he is reminded that Jessie borrowed her Dustox for the PokeRinger Contest, so will give her his Pokemon. The Contest is about to begin - the announcer intorduces the judges. Ash has to go to teach Swellow Aerial Ace. May and Kelly wish each other luck. Jessie intimidates Chimecho to win or else. The first participant is May and she sends Combusken. Combusken uses Fire Spin, but goes out of control. Everyone sees the attack, so what will May do to protect herself?
- The Japanese character names Haruka and Kanata are a pun based on はるか彼方 — that faraway place — a line from Advance Adventure.
- This episode marks the second time a Pokémon's attack was sent back by a Psychic attack in the form of a dragon. The first time it was done was by Kadabra in Abra and the Psychic Showdown to deflect Pikachu's ThunderShock.
- This is one of the rare instances where Mr. Sukizo says something that doesn't incorporate "remarkable". When James's Chimecho is using Heal Bell, he says, "I love you guys".
- Chimecho received recoil damage from Double-Edge after Combusken dodged the attack. However, Chimecho should have received the damage only if it was able to hit Combusken.
- When it showed the time left after Kelly's Grumpig used Psychic on Combusken, the Point bar was at full for both Trainers.
- This happened again when the time ran out.
- After Combusken saves Grumpig, Grumpig's eyes are purple. This is possibly to show that Grumpig was in shock after the situation.
- During Pokémon Trainer's Choice, Flaaffy's name is incorrectly written as "Flaafy".
- After May wins the Contest, the Ribbon is clearly seen around Combusken's neck. However, May is looking into her hands cupped in font of her, as if she were holding the Ribbon.