Lessons in Lilycove (Japanese: ポケモンコンテスト！ミナモ大会！！ Pokémon Contest! Lilycove Tournament!) is the 51st episode of Pokémon: Advanced Challenge.
The attack resolves. However, Combusken uses Peck, negating the attack. Combusken uses Fire Spin once more, gathering the flames. The judges are impressed, even if it wasn't what she intended to. Combusken throws the flames and uses Sky Uppercut, so the flames disperse. May gets a total of 23.6, so Brock and Max think she'll have a tough time to get to 2nd round. Kelly is impressed by the performance, nevertheless. Jessie thinks she'll win without much effort. Swellow tries to use Aerial Ace, but fails. Ash tells it needs to concentrate to use Aerial Ace. The next contestant is Kelly and Grumpig.
Grumpig is sent, and Kelly throws Pokéblocks, so Grumpig uses Psychic to levitate them. Grumpig uses the attack to juggle them, then bounces to eat the Pokéblocks. Kelly gets a score of 27.7 points. May is dazzled by the performance and still wishes to get to 2nd round. Swellow attempts to use Aerial Ace - it flies low and passes, but did not hit the target. Ash is still proud for getting the first part. The 3rd contestant is Josephina (aka Jessie) - she sends Chimecho. Chimecho uses Healing Bell, calming everyone down. Jessie thinks it is boring, so she goes to get the show more interesting - she pulls Chimecho and it uses Astonish. The attack affects everyone with a voice that hurts their ears. Jesophina gets a 30.0 score, nevertheless. The judge explains that unexpectedly she hurt everyone, so that surprise attack is what made her great. Meowth and Wobbuffet are impressed as well, but James still thinks on Chimecho.
The screen displays the next contestants - among them are Josephina (aka Jessie), Kelly and even May! The screen then displays whom they'll battle - They are matched against other contestants. Josephina brags about how she'll win. Swellow uses Aerial Ace, but misses the target. Vladimir gives Ash advice that with a signal at the right time he will redirect the attack to the target. The battles are skipped, so in the next round, May battles Josephina and Kelly an unnamed contestant. May sends Combusken and Josephina Chimecho. Combusken uses Quick Attack, hurting Chimecho and terrifying James. Chimecho wraps Combusken and May's points fall down. Combusken pecks Chimecho and unwraps itself. Combusken counter-attacks with Fire Spin, encasing Chimecho. Jessie is frustrated, but remembers James telling her not to use Double-Edge, so orders Chimecho to use it.
Combusken dodges and attacks Chimecho with Sky Uppercut, defeating it and bashing it on Jessie's head. Combusken wins the 2nd round. Swellow uses Aerial Ace, but misses the target. Vladimir tells Ash he needs to give the signal at the right time. Swellow tries once more, and this time it hits the target, learning Aerial Ace properly. Vladimir tells Ash he needs to practice more foe Aerial Ace to become automatic. Team Rocket leave the building, with an angry Jessie accusing Chimecho of her loss. The finals are here - it is Kelly vs. May. Swellow missed the target and used Aerial Ace on Team Rocket, blasting them off. Ash and Pikachu join the audience to see May win.
May sends Combusken and Kelly her Grumpig. Grumpig starts with Iron Tail, but Combusken stops the attack. Combusken attacks with Fire Spin, but with Grumpig's Psychic, redirecting the attack. Combusken attacks with Sky Uppercut, deflecting the attack. Grumpig uses Psychic on Combusken, lowering May's points. Grumpig strikes with Bounce and May orders Combusken to use Fire Spin... on the ceiling. The fire deflects, losing Grumpig's concentration. Both Pokémon begin to fall down, although Combusken gets Grumpig and uses Fire Spin, gently arriving to the floor. Time ran out and May wins the contest. May gets the Lilycove ribbon. Ash, Brock, Max and Kelly congratulate her and Kelly promises to battle her once more.
- The Japanese character names Haruka and Kanata are a pun based on はるか彼方 — that faraway place — a line from Advance Adventure.
- This episode marks the second time a Pokémon's attack was sent back by a Psychic attack in the form of a dragon. The first time it was done was by Kadabra in Abra and the Psychic Showdown to deflect Pikachu's ThunderShock.
- This is one of the rare instances where Mr. Sukizo says something that doesn't incorporate "remarkable". When James's Chimecho is using Heal Bell, he says, "I love you guys".
- Chimecho received recoil damage from Double-Edge after Combusken dodged the attack. However, Chimecho should have received the damage only if it was able to hit Combusken.
- When it showed the time left after Kelly's Grumpig used Psychic on Combusken, the Point bar was at full for both Trainers.
- This happened again when the time ran out.
- After Combusken saves Grumpig, Grumpig's eyes are purple. This is possibly to show that Grumpig was in shock after the situation.
- During Pokémon Trainer's Choice, Flaaffy's name is incorrectly written as "Flaafy".
- After May wins the Contest, the Ribbon is clearly seen around Combusken's neck. However, May is looking into her hands cupped in font of her, as if she were holding the Ribbon.