The kids finally arrive in Lilycove City and Ash is starving. They decide to head to a restaurant that serves omelets, but Pikachu runs off, leading them to the berry market. In the berry market, they meet a Pokemon Coordinator named Kelly and her Grumpig. Kelly is buying berries to make PokeBlocks with, and she plans to enter the Lilycove Pokemon Contest. Kelly invites them to her home which is attached to a PokeBlock store that her mother runs. Kelly's mom teaches May and Brock how to make PokeBlocks in the Berry Blender.
Ash wants to teach Swellow the move Aerial Ace before his next Gym battle, so he ventures outside with Max to practice. They meet an old man named Ralph, who was once known as "Vladimir the Attacker", a famous Pokemon Trainer. He offers to help.
May makes her first PokeBlocks and tests them on her Pokemon, but only Beautifly likes them. Team Rocket shows up and tries to steal Kelly's Grumpig, but May has Combusken use Sky Uppercut to send them blasting off. After Kelly compliments the Fire- and Fighting-type Pokemon, May decides to use Combusken in the Lilycove Contest.
When Team Rocket finally hits the ground, Jessie finds a flyer for the contest and decides to enter with James' Chimecho.
The contest begins and May is called up first. She starts by having Combusken use Fire Spin, but it goes out of control...
- The dub title is a reference to the phrase "Lock, stock, and barrel".
- James references Jessiebelle when Jessie asks if James noticed the Grumpig. James responds, "If you mean it looks like my ex-fiance then yes."
- Though Vladimir acts as a Move Tutor in the anime, in the games, Lilycove City has a Move deleter.
- Vladimir's title as "Vladimir the Attacker" may be a reference to the historical figure "Vlad the Impaler".
- As the gang walks up to the Berry stand towards the beginning of the episode, the vendor is being heard to be yelling the names of real-life berries: strawberries, blueberries. etc. What can be seen in the stall however, are only Pokémon Berries such as Pecha and Rawst Berries.
- In the "Pokémon Trainer's Choice" Makuhita would be a poor choice to battle Spoink as Fighting types are weak against Psychic types. The best choice would have been Swampert.