After a reunion with Misty in Mirage Kingdom, Ash and his friends are walking through the desert when they pass out because of the heat. They are rescued by the Winstrate family, who in return for the hospitality offered, want to have a Pokemon battle between the four Winstrates and all four of the kids.
Team Rocket also faints in the desert, where they are discovered by Vito Winstrate. He left home a while ago to battle in the Pokemon League, but he'd rather just raise Pokemon. His family is very proud of him going off to the League, and he's afraid of them finding out the truth. James offers to help him talk to his family.
The battle begins back at the Winstrate residence. Brock uses his Mudkip against Victor Winstrate's Zigzagoon, but is knocked out by a surprise Thunderbolt attack. May takes out Victoria's Roselia with her Beautifly. Max doesn't have any Pokemon yet, so he borrows Ash's Corphish and easily knocks down Vivi's Marill, breaking the little girl's heart.
Ash takes on Grandma with Pikachu. The battle is close until her Camerupt uses Eruption and begins to chase Pikachu everywhere (Pikachu hit Camerupt's face with Iron Tail and Camerupt goes beserk when its face is hit). Camerupt gets confused and charges the Winstrate's house instead.
Vito and Team Rocket are watching the whole thing, so Vito secretly has his Alakazam start a rainstorm to calm Camerupt down. Team Rocket tries to steal Pikachu, but Vito uses his Pokemon to stop them. Grandma Winstrate realizes that Vito is helping them and never went to the Pokemon League. She announces that it's okay for Vito to choose his own path. Vito leaves the Winstrate farm to become the best he can be at raising Pokemon.
- The English dub title is based on the television series Candid Camera, probably to describe the way Vito was watching the family from a distance without being noticed.
- This episode was aired in English exactly one year after the Japanese airdate.
- The Pokémon Trainer's Choice states that Nuzleaf would be best against Camerupt. However, Nuzleaf would be less effective as Camerupt is a Fire type. In truth, none of the Pokémon would be effective battle choices, though Magcargo would suffer the least damage from Camerupt's Fire attacks, due to its Rock and Fire types, but also has a quadruple weakness against Camerupt's Ground attacks.
- In one shot, one of Ash's thumbs are colored black, like his glove.
- When Brock sends out his Mudkip, its mouth doesn't move when it says its name.